Ryzen 1400 Build Will It Work ?

Hello, I'm new here and English is not my main language so i hope you will understand me !

So, i have a question, will a Ryzen 1400 be enough for two "small" gaming machines ?

This processor have 4 cores and 8 threads so can i make my main pc with 2 cores 4 threads and the VM also with 2 cores 4 threads ?

So it will "approximatively" have the power of a Pentium G4560 ?

My specs are :

4X4 GB of RAM (8 GB for each PCs i think ?)

GTX 1060 3GB for my main pc

GTX 580(?) for the VM

2 HDDs

But is the processor enough for 2 gaming machines ? To play games like Minecraft, Far cry 5 (Maybe), GTA V ... ?

Thanks for the answers !

Flip the gpu assignments. Also you understand your unraid needs some resources too correct? With that being the case with this processor go with a single VM with hardware passthrough this using the second GPU slot for the passthrough as Ryzen doesn’t have integrated graphics on the 1400. If you decide to do 2 gaming PCs on this it can be tricky. I wouldn’t assign both fully, maybe 2 cpus on one and a different 2 or 4 on the gaming one. RAM don’t assign all 8GB as the VM uses over the allocation by 10% on average. I’d go with 6GB assignee max per VM with these specs. Also you understand unraid is a Slackware fork and probably won’t game. The OS lives on a USB drive meaning performance isn’t for using like a normal PC. If that is your thought reconsider. But 2 VMs is doable but the processor won’t likely be enough for much more than 1 VM with decent specs. 1600 is dropping in price for the extra 30-40 bucks it gives 2 more cores with 4 threads. Also don’t go lower than a B350 motherboard. You give up too much. 

Watch gridrunners videos, walkthroughs are good. Youtube look for Spaceinvader One, that’s his channel. 

Edited by phbigred

Hi -

unRAID isn't a hypervisor.  It's an operating system, with an included hypervisor.  I think you'd be happy using unRAID - but you need to plan for sufficient resources for the operating system to run.  That includes at least a core (with hyper-threaded companion) and some RAM.

CPU Pinning is what you're doing - assigning a VM specific cores.  So VM1 you might tell it to use Core 0 and Core 1 only, VM2 you might tell it to use Core 2 and 3 only - that's core or CPU pinning.

You don't need to do it in my opinion, let KVM do it automagically and you generally end up with better performance.

So will a Ryzen 1400 be enough for 2 gaming machine ?

5 hours ago, HellDiverUK said:

CPU Pinning is what you're doing - assigning a VM specific cores.  So VM1 you might tell it to use Core 0 and Core 1 only, VM2 you might tell it to use Core 2 and 3 only - that's core or CPU pinning.

You don't need to do it in my opinion, let KVM do it automagically and you generally end up with better performance.