Create email based usernames from the GUI

Getting through my first unRAID installation, it would be really helpful if there was a way to create new users/SMB users who's username is an email address. This allowed me to proper connect to my shares from my Windows 10 machine that uses Microsoft accounts. I'd also think it would me useful for machines that are domain joined an use UPNs for login.

I followed @geekazoid instructions for converting a username, and it worked well. Would be nice if you didn't have to SSH into the server and hand edit files though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, geekazoid said:

Why? 

Can't decide if you're serious or not, but in case:

1) So it's not a 3 phase process (create user in the GUI, modify the files by hand, then restart the server <restarting the array does allow SMB to work, but it takes a full array restart for the GUI to recognize the modified name>)

2) Prevent typos from occurring while hand-modifying 5 different config files

3) Allow you to delete the users without having to go back and re-edit the files back to non-email based names

Well I agree that the GUI could be improved. I should submit a feature request.

Personally:

- I have shell open all the time, even in Windows. I often just click the terminal in unRAID because the GUI lacks what I need.
- Not making typos is basic unix administration. There are strategies around that.

I've done this both ways for 20yrs now (GUI on NAS and GUI-free servers) and I would say that CLI is faster/better overall. But GUI is convenient, when it works.

Edited by geekazoid
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/18/2019 at 8:50 AM, Jakosaur said:

+1 - implementation via the GUI would be perfect. Going to follow those instructions, but 100% agree it should be in the GUI for convenience! 🙂

Did in the end use those instructions and worked perfectly. Would be nice to know why UNRAID won't let us have usernames with "@" in them through the GUI. Normal UNRAID share access work fine, but Unassigned Devices follows the GUI rules and denies access to shares if the username has an "@".

1 hour ago, Jakosaur said:

Did in the end use those instructions and worked perfectly. Would be nice to know why UNRAID won't let us have usernames with "@" in them through the GUI. Normal UNRAID share access work fine, but Unassigned Devices follows the GUI rules and denies access to shares if the username has an "@".

The '@' character is a reserved php character and trying to work around this is a major task.