CyberPower ok to use with Unraid?

Blindsay

About to buy a UPS because i am sick of power flickering and then having to do a 15hr parity check lol.

Had good luck with Cyberpower in the past and was looking at https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102134

but i wasnt sure how compatibility was with unraid and if i should stick with APC in this case?

Ideally would like it to have my VM's shutdown (ubuntu and windows) and then have unraid cleanly shutdown if power goes out for more than like 5 minutes

That UPS will work fine as long as you don't configure it to turn itself off after shutdown. AFAIK, only APC supports that correctly.

The default install of apcupsd in unraid will broadcast its status on the network, you can install apcupsd in your VM's and point it to the server's apcupsd port and they will get the power status from there. Set your VM's to shut down after a very short interval, and leave enough time for them to cleanly shut down.

For example, if your ubuntu normally takes 1 minute to shut down, and your windows VM takes 2 minutes and they live on the same drive, then you would want to stagger them so they shut themselves down sequentially and leave a margin before unraid starts shutdown. Ubuntu starts shutdown at 30 seconds of power out, windows starts shutdown at 2 minutes, unraid server starts shutdown at 5 minutes, hopefully everything is cleanly shutdown before the 10 minute mark.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Great decision to add a UPS!

I also think cyberpower products and their customer support are excellent!

However the apc library in linux and thus included in unraid doesn't marry well to the point of your question. I'd advise you stick to tried and proceed compatibility recommendations from others. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Lev said:

@jonathanm  I was able to finally get mine working a year ago using the network snmp after many hours wasted on trying the direct connect usb cable.  Is that the same method you're describing? 

Ever try the usb cable? Did it work for you? 

I have a CP1500PFCLCD connected via UPS type USB and UPS cable USB with a blank device string and it works fine. The slaved instances of apcupsd on my VM's and second unraid server are connected via UPS type NET and UPS cable Ether, and a device string of <masterserver>:3551

As long as you get apcupsd to successfully read power status and count minutes without power on the master, it doesn't really matter how the ups communicates.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

I have a CP1500PFCLCD connected via UPS type USB and UPS cable USB with a blank device string and it works fine. The slaved instances of apcupsd on my VM's and second unraid server are connected via UPS type NET and UPS cable Ether, and a device string of <masterserver>:3551

As long as you get apcupsd to successfully read power status and count minutes without power on the master, it doesn't really matter how the ups communicates.

Thanks! this makes me want to give it another try someday with the usb cable and see if I get results like yours. I've only had luck using NET with the optional remote access add on card Cyberpower offers. 

On 4/13/2018 at 6:04 AM, kizer said:

You guys should talk. Lol

I have an option for my brother to pick up one of these cyberpowers and bring it to me in alaska in just a few hours.  sounds like a bit of a gamble but that it will most likely work for the shutdown only from what i have read so far. - or not - seems like anything i can find has a problem in the forums - 

Edited by FrozenGamer
18 hours ago, Lev said:

If it's a choice between having a UPS or no UPS, forget compatibility concerns!

I'll take whatever I could get my hands on in Alaska. Do it brother! 

Darn ,  i missed that window, my brother is just flying out now! - hope fully i can get some feedback from someone who has used this one specifically with that one - easy to get from costco and have a friend bring back.  Scary stuff that the last link i shared though.

15 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

Got my UPS today :D

looks like ill get about 65 minutes on UPS (router + modem + server)

Just curious do you guys use the 'turn off ups after shutdown' ? (especially curious if you have a cyberpower unit)

That runtime is highly optimistic, and for the health of your battery you should never even push close to that. I would recommend trying to get your unraid box fully shut down inside a 10 minute window, and allow the UPS to carry the modem+router+switch for a few minutes after that, to give you a little time to use the wifi on your phone or laptop if needed. Try not to ever run below 50% if possible, preferably less.

And no, do NOT set the turn off after shutdown on cyberpower. If you are close by and can shut down the UPS with the button on the front, fine. Otherwise just leave it.

The UPS is there to allow a graceful shutdown of all your tech equipment, not to provide off grid runtime.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

That runtime is highly optimistic, and for the health of your battery you should never even push close to that. I would recommend trying to get your unraid box fully shut down inside a 10 minute window, and allow the UPS to carry the modem+router+switch for a few minutes after that, to give you a little time to use the wifi on your phone or laptop if needed. Try not to ever run below 50% if possible, preferably less.

And no, do NOT set the turn off after shutdown on cyberpower. If you are close by and can shut down the UPS with the button on the front, fine. Otherwise just leave it.

The UPS is there to allow a graceful shutdown of all your tech equipment, not to provide off grid runtime.

Everything combined is only drawing about 100w. But yeah i have it set to either 15% or 10m left right now. 

I wont enable it, but whats bad about the "turn off after shutdown" on cyberpower?

3 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

I wont enable it, but whats bad about the "turn off after shutdown" on cyberpower?

3 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

But yeah i have it set to either 15% or 10m left right now. 

Exactly the opposite of what I would recommend. Time how long it takes you to go from a fully running idle system to shutting down completely, power off. Take that time, subtract it from 10 minutes, and set the UPS to start shutdown after the remainder. So, from the time the power is lost, to the unraid server shutting down, should be less than 10 minutes.

4 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Exactly the opposite of what I would recommend. Time how long it takes you to go from a fully running idle system to shutting down completely, power off. Take that time, subtract it from 10 minutes, and set the UPS to start shutdown after the remainder. So, from the time the power is lost, to the unraid server shutting down, should be less than 10 minutes.

Thanks, I still gotta mess around with getting the VM's to gracefully power down first. Not the end of the world if they get forced off (the array is my primary concern) but it will be nice to figure out

41 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

Thanks, I still gotta mess around with getting the VM's to gracefully power down first. Not the end of the world if they get forced off (the array is my primary concern) but it will be nice to figure out

Install apcupsd in each VM, and point it to your server ip:3551 as the device, port as net, and cable as ether. Set the VM's to start power down in a staggered fashion, so each has time to shut down before the next starts shutting down. e.g. VM1 starts shutdown after 1 minute of power outage, VM2 after 3 minutes, VM3 after 5 minutes, and unraid starts shutdown after 7 minutes. Time each VM's normal shutdown routine so you know how much time to allocate.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Install apcupsd in each VM, and point it to your server ip:3551 as the device, port as net, and cable as ether. Set the VM's to start power down in a staggered fashion, so each has time to shut down before the next starts shutting down. e.g. VM1 starts shutdown after 1 minute of power outage, VM2 after 3 minutes, VM3 after 5 minutes, and unraid starts shutdown after 7 minutes. Time each VM's normal shutdown routine so you know how much time to allocate.

cool, thanks for all the help

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought  a PSU CyberPower 1500va  900w.  I know, I seen the recommended requirements for APC after I plugged it in.   Right now I just have the power cord from the Unraid unit pl;ugged in, as well as the desktop.  Do I connect this to the unraid machine in any other manner?  What do I use for settings in the PSU section? Little  bit lost here, not to mention mad because I normally buy APC, but didn't feel like running around.  Hopefully I didn't waste my time.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by Badboy
On 4/30/2018 at 8:26 PM, Badboy said:

Just bought  a PSU CyberPower 1500va  900w.  I know, I seen the recommended requirements for APC after I plugged it in.   Right now I just have the power cord from the Unraid unit pl;ugged in, as well as the desktop.  Do I connect this to the unraid machine in any other manner?  What do I use for settings in the PSU section? Little  bit lost here, not to mention mad because I normally buy APC, but didn't feel like running around.  Hopefully I didn't waste my time.

Thanks for your time.

Yeah it should have come with a usb cable, you will need to connect that from the UPS to the server (there should be a usb type B port on the back of the UPS for this, not the type A ports on the front)

Thanks Blindsay,  I figured it out after I posted. Stupid me.  It works!? Was kind of sweating there for a bit.  I hope this stops the random reboot. I think I have finally fixed the cpu  issues with my Ryzen 1700x.  I was having major issues when I was using Freenas.  It was the best thing that could have happened. This is a great OS system. Problems I have now are a lot easier to fix.  I love my Nas once again.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

So I've been using the ups for a while now and its been great except for the only thing i seem to be missing is when there is an event (power loss, voltage dip, whatever) that I dont know exactly what the event was. If i plug it into my windows laptop (the usb cable from the ups) I can install their software and get that info but obviously i like having it tied into unraid.

Any thoughts on how to accomplish both? Pass through the ups to a VM? monitor it over the network? something else?

• 4 years later...
On 6/6/2018 at 11:51 PM, Blindsay said:

So I've been using the ups for a while now and its been great except for the only thing i seem to be missing is when there is an event (power loss, voltage dip, whatever) that I dont know exactly what the event was. If i plug it into my windows laptop (the usb cable from the ups) I can install their software and get that info but obviously i like having it tied into unraid.

Any thoughts on how to accomplish both? Pass through the ups to a VM? monitor it over the network? something else?

tried to install the PowerPanel software for linux ?

I have a Cyberpower model CP1500PFCLCDa 1000w UPS, and it was literally plug and play. I disconnected the old APC ups, plugged in the new one, and that was that. The APCUPS daemon immediately detected it and it's been working without any other configuration. I have apcupsd installed on my Windows 10 VM and it correctly sees the status across the "network" and can shut itself down without any issues. It just works.

• Like 1