[SOLVED] Weird Win10 Connection Issues

Hi, I just set up my personal unRAID 6 nas/VM system not long ago, but have been experiencing some issues with connecting to it through my PC recently. I'm not an expert in this realm, so I guess I'll just tell the entire tale so I dont leave something important out.

In the beginning, it worked perfectly. I had could run 2VMs off the system, and while those weren't in use, the server would act as a NAS for my main PC. the unRAID system is connected to my gigabit router through an ethernet cable, and so is my main PC.

Problems began emerging one day when I was testing a GPU (Vega 64) to see if it was good or bad. I plugged it in the system, then booted it up. It turned out to be fine, and out of curiousity, I proceeded to try and dual-GPU a VM. The original GPU was a GTX1070, which is also the unRAID console card, which I passed through by dumping the BIOS. With both GPU's (1070 + Vega 64) selected in the VM page, I tried to boot the VM. However, IIRC, Windows didn't start, and all I was left with was a black screen. I proceeded to power down the system, and removed the Vega 64 since it wasn't meant for said system anyway.

Afterwards, the unRAID system itself didn't show any abnormalities, but I did notice that I had a hard time connecting to the NAS portion off my other main PC. Before you ask, yes, I have network-mapped all the user shares that I wish to access, settings for those shares are correct, and the array Is started.

I had to restart the computer before I had any success with connecting to it. Even so http://tower took a very long time to connect to, returning multiple times as "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" in Chrome. And even after I had logged in to the NAS, the network drives took around 3 minutes to appear; 3 minutes of me refreshing windows explorer constantly. It used to connect almost instantly, and would show up in seconds after I boot up and open file explorer. Now, it often just appears with a red "x" and if I try to connect to it, it gives me something along the lines of "Y: drive was not found" or something similar.

I've also noticed that "TOWER" rarely shows up in Windows explorer's Network section either now.

Is it possible that the GPU incident + a possibly unclean shutdown/force shutdown of a VM caused something to become corrupt, and in turn, lead to my issues? I've also been messing with Windows 10's adaptor and binding settings, setting the ethernet cable as default, but that hasn't helped either...

Thanks in advance!

Edited by hihihi8

Note that I can still manage to connect to it, just with much greater difficulty than before. It takes sometimes a couple of restarts of Windows Explorer for it to show up, and then a restart of Chrome in order to access http://tower. After I do connect, it's fine though.

• 1 year later...

Fix-DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN_easiest-I had same problem, very easy solution

Open Run prompt by pressing down Windows and R keys at the same time again.
Type into the Run prompt: ncpa.cpl and hit OK. This command launches Network Connections panel. Here, find the network adapter that is active right now and right-click on it. Choose the Properties option.
In the Networking panel, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), click on it and click the Properties button.
Now, check the Use the following DNS server addresses option and then enter the following numbers:
Preferred DNS server: 8.8.8.8
Alternate DNS server: 8.8.4.4.

Edited by trurl
delete link
51 minutes ago, Mattcc said:

I had same problem, very easy solution

Preferred DNS server: 8.8.8.8
Alternate DNS server: 8.8.4.4.

How does changing the DNS help you find a machine on your local network?

I deleted the link you posted just in case that was your whole purpose for posting.

It means that the DNS service is not working properly on either your side or the server's side. Changing DNS server to Google DNS or OpenDNS , or remove all cookies and cached files on your browser will help to resolve this issue immediately. Like any other error, there are several ways you can solve problems by yourself.

•     Release or Renew Your IP Address
  •     Change DNS server
  •     Restart DNS Client service
  •     Reset hosts file
  •     Reset Chrome Flags
  •     Reset Winsock program

Edited by trurl
remove link