HELP - System down:Second USB boot disk failure

HELP!

My system is down, I've had a second USB stick failure within a year of replacing a very old one :(

I've reformatted and restored to it but it's not happy.

I've emailed support as per advise but is there any way I can get my server back online with a temp key or anything?

8 minutes ago, fysmd said:

HELP!

My system is down, I've had a second USB stick failure within a year of replacing a very old one :(

I've reformatted and restored to it but it's not happy.

I've emailed support as per advise but is there any way I can get my server back online with a temp key or anything?

A trial key will sort of work, depends how much work you are willing to go through, and what you need to get back online. If all you need is access to your shares, that's pretty easy, just assign all your drives manually to the correct slots. Users and permissions will be gone, but you can recreate them if you want. If you have dockers and VM's that you need to get back up, those will all need to be set up again. Your data would be intact, but it would be a manual process to point to the correct locations.

If you buy a full second license, then you can switch the config over without hassle, but temp keys are meant to set up a trial system, not sustain a working system.

Your cheapest easiest option is to wait for support to get back to you. If you can't wait, purchasing a second license will get you back fully running now, and you will have a second license to set up another system for backup if you wish. Or, go through the hassle of setting up a trial key.

OK, I've done this and got things most;ly back online - it sounds a lot more daunting that it actually is.

I found that a fresh install, install temp license, shutdown, pop super.dat on boot USB will not work as a perm license is required :(

So removed it and configured from scratch, assign drives etc.

Docker had no config but existing containers started up and ran perfectly - they need to be removed and recreated in order to stop common problem moaning about them, or upgrade them etc.  Nice n easy and no Data loss.

I do have a small issue with plex (linuxserver.io container), I can't make DVR work again but I suspect this is either unrelated or something to do with mover having begun shifting my container appdata folder off cache to the array.

I would be double-checking that one of your dockers is not writing data to the flash drive.  Flash drives are not really intended to be subjected to repeated write cycles and this can lead to early failures.  The core unRAID Operating System basically ignores the flash drive after the system boots (it runs completely from RAM) and writes to one file on shutdown which in most use cases are weeks to months apart.  (Although recently with all of the security updates, this a much more common occurrence!)