Unable to stop Dockers unRAID 6.5.0

I've had a problem that seems to have crept up since updating to 6.5.0, not sure if it's update related or simply coincidental.

I'm having major issues with getting dockers to stop running. From the individual logs for the dockers I see a trend of them getting stuck at 

[s6-finish] syncing disks.

Through some searching I found an old thread that was related to heavy disk I/O while data was trying to be written, their issue was related to Mover running (which mine is not at the time) and them transferring a large amount of data.

I'm not thinking this is an issue I'm having as, ideally, once disk I/O died down things should finish up and stop successfully but mine never do.

I've let a docker sit in this "syncing disks" state for over 2 days now and I'm not seeing it move any further.

Sadly, this affects my system being able to shutdown cleanly as when the dockers are attempting to stop they never do successfully.

I've attached diagnostics for any assistance it may provide. Let me know if there's more I could gather to help.

unraid-diagnostics-20180414-1111.zip

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2018 at 1:38 PM, Squid said:

6.5.1-rc5+ should fix this for you

I have since updated to 6.5.2 and seem to be having some issues still

It doesn't seem to be on all dockers but when attempting to stop/start/restart it gets stuck at [s6-finish] syncing disks.

It does appear to finally stop/restart however it takes FAR longer than it should (took several hours over the weekend)

Wondering at this point if it may be an issue with my docker image, if it would be worth re-creating? Unless there's something else I should try

unraid-diagnostics-20180521-1847.zip

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2018 at 4:53 PM, fiore00713 said:

I have since updated to 6.5.2 and seem to be having some issues still

It doesn't seem to be on all dockers but when attempting to stop/start/restart it gets stuck at [s6-finish] syncing disks.

It does appear to finally stop/restart however it takes FAR longer than it should (took several hours over the weekend)

Wondering at this point if it may be an issue with my docker image, if it would be worth re-creating? Unless there's something else I should try

unraid-diagnostics-20180521-1847.zip

was it your image? I am having the same issue

10 minutes ago, elmetal said:

was it your image? I am having the same issue

So I actually re-created my image yesterday to try and resolve this issue. So far it doesn't seem to have made any change.

I've done a little extra reading and one thread said something to the likes of the s6-finish process is writing the RAM to the array. I'm wondering if this may be impacting things.

My server has 128gb of memory installed, I'm running 4 VMs constantly, about a dozen dockers, one of which is PLEX which I'm using the RAM to transcode.

So, if this statement holds true, the system could be trying to write in the neighborhood of 50GB to the array

If this is true or not I'm not sure... I wouldn't necessarily know how to verify this though.

I'm debating on using a spare SSD I have to offload PLEX transcoding to to see if it makes any impact in performance

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, DZMM said:

@fiore00713 did you ever find a solution to this?  It's been driving me mad for about a month now and I have exactly the same experience

I didn't find anything solid, but I've done a bunch of stuff that seem to have helped significantly...

One thing I did was go through these optimizing videos and made most of the changes that were suggested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Yevb-U3zI

I also changed my Plex server transcode location to an unassigned SSD from system RAM

So far performance seems better and everything has been running pretty solid for a month+

Hopefully you can try some of these things and make things better on your end as well

• 4 months later...