[RESOLVED] Moving VM from cache to standard disk

6yb

Hi,

All my VMs are located on cache drives (I have 2 SSD with RAID1).
the mount point is /mnt/cache/vms/...
I want to move unused vms to /mnt/user/vms/... to freeup space on the cache drives.
I noticed that the vm I want to move has already a disk file on /mnt/user/vms/...
I guess that is because everything on cache is moved to the array, is it safe to move the vdisk of the vm to /mnt/user/vms/... , edit the xml and just remove everything from this vm from cache?

Thanks

Edited by 6yb
15 hours ago, 6yb said:

Hi,

All my VMs are located on cache drives (I have 2 SSD with RAID1).
the mount point is /mnt/cache/vms/...
I want to move unused vms to /mnt/user/vms/... to freeup space on the cache drives.
I noticed that the vm I want to move has already a disk file on /mnt/user/vms/...
I guess that is because everything on cache is moved to the array, is it safe to move the vdisk of the vm to /mnt/user/vms/... , edit the xml and just remove everything from this vm from cache?

Thanks

STOP! If you do exactly what you say, you will delete your data.

/mnt/cache/vms/ IS /mnt/user/vms/   THEY ARE THE SAME FILE. The first path is the real file, it exists on the cache drive. The second path is the virtual user share path, it only exists in RAM, and points to the drive.

What you are actually intending to do, is move the files from /mnt/cache/vms/ to /mnt/diskX/vms/ , both of those will show up together under /mnt/user/vms/

Pick which disk # you want it to live on, and move it from the cache drive to that disk, keeping the full path identical other than the /mnt/cache and /mnt/diskX part.

Also, before you do this, you need to set the share vms to cache:only or cache:no, if you leave it on cache:prefer the mover script will undo what you just did.

• Like 1

Hi Jonathan,

I wish I had seen your post yesterday because what you said happened already and I have now nothing on /mnt/user/vms of my copy from yesterday.
Hopefully I also took a backup of the VM disk to a share located in /mnt/disk1/vm_backups and I still have that file.

Good to know for the next time or for someone reading this post.

Thanks

Cyrille

Edited by 6yb