New drive configuration with LSI card and Cache pool

mani

My current Unraid server has six drives . I am running Supermicro server MB with Xeon processor and MB has 6 SATA ports . I don’t have a cache drive at present . I am thinking of adding LSI 9207-8i and have total of 10 drives in my server - 6 data drives , 1 warm spare and 1 parity and have 2 SSD’s as RAID 1 cache pool. On wiki it says this particular LSI card works OOTB and doesn’t need to be flashed . Can someone confirm please . I am planning on using WB Red drives and likely WD or Samsung 500GB SSD’s . I will be building the server as new  with all new drives , so no migration ir restore is needed . 

Can someone recommend which drives should be attached to MB SATA ports and which ones to LSI? Will it make any difference 

thanks 

10 hours ago, mani said:

Can someone confirm please

Yes.

10 hours ago, mani said:

Can someone recommend which drives should be attached to MB SATA ports and which ones to LSI? Will it make any difference 

No, although might be better to use the SSDs onboard as some have issues with trim on the LSI.