dell t3500

h310 it mode

single parity

dual cache

future server:

dell c2100

h310 (not compatible with c2100)

9210 it mode

When i migrated, the c2100 post halted to tell me that the h310 was not compatible with the system. So i changed it out for the 9210. Unraid boots, gui says disks are missing, I assign the matched disks. Then it tells me the disks are wrong. I previously read in another post johnnie.black state that despite being the same drives, the controllers saw the drives as slightly different sizes and thus unraid sees the drives as wrong (controller reporting wrong sizes).

I moved the drives back to the original server/setup and still reports as wrong disks.

I tried to mount the drives in windows with the h310 controller, and while windows recognizes the disks, it wants me to convert them to dynamic to read the drives. So I can't salvage my data that way.

tower-diagnostics-20180414-1805.zip

Edited by xjmtx
17 minutes ago, xjmtx said:

I previously read in another post johnnie.black state that despite being the same drives, the controllers saw the drives as slightly different sizes and thus unraid sees the drives as wrong (controller reporting wrong sizes).

And what did johnnie.black say about how to solve the problem? I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have recommended putting the disks into a Windows machine. Do you have a link to that post you read?

• Upvote 1

You have not lost any data - even if the controller says the size is wrong, it's still possible to mount individual disks and extract the content. Your test with Windows wasn't expected to work well since Windows doesn't make use of Linux-based file systems without some very special driver software.

Your problem is not the same as the other post, disks are detected with the same size, just a different identifier, e.g.:

ST32000SSSUN2.0T_001108L45WK7_9WM45WK7

ST32000SSSUN2.0T_001108L45WK7_9WM45WK7_35000c50026321853

You just need to do a new config, re-assign all disks in the correct slots and chec "parity is already valid" before starting the array.

4 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

But will that work now? Since the disks are currently seen without the WWN?

Yes, the purpose of the plugin is to translate the disk identifier back to "without" wwn.

This is usually necessary when original disks were on SATA ports of the M/B and now transferred to a SAS/SCSI controller card.

There's a few things happening here in this thread.

13 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Your problem is not the same as the other post, disks are detected with the same size, just a different identifier, e.g.

You just need to do a new config, re-assign all disks in the correct slots and chec "parity is already valid" before starting the array.

are you saying that i could put these drives back in the c2100 and just "new config" match the drives back to where they are supposed to be, claim that the parity is fine. And I'd have the ability to see the data? Or the drives would mount like they're supposed to and it'd be business as usual?

13 hours ago, bonienl said:

An alternative is to install the Dynamix SCSI devices plugin, which renames devices to original, i.e. without the WWN identifier appended.

13 hours ago, bonienl said:

Yes, the purpose of the plugin is to translate the disk identifier back to "without" wwn.

This is usually necessary when original disks were on SATA ports of the M/B and now transferred to a SAS/SCSI controller card.

Dynamix SCSI devices plugin previously installed. Not sure how to use it exactly. If there is some command line entry.

7 hours ago, xjmtx said:

are you saying that i could put these drives back in the c2100 and just "new config" match the drives back to where they are supposed to be, claim that the parity is fine. And I'd have the ability to see the data? Or the drives would mount like they're supposed to and it'd be business as usual?

Yes, it should work fine.

9 hours ago, xjmtx said:

Dynamix SCSI devices plugin previously installed. Not sure how to use it exactly. If there is some command line entry.

There is nothing to setup or configure. The plugin should change the names of the devices. If it doesn't then follow the advice of johnnie.black and perform a New Config..

I've an irrational fear of losing the data to moving, reconfigging, not actually rsyncing. Doubt in a nutshell. It works. I'm not sure how to edit the title to say solved. i made the new config as johnnie.black said. So...that's what that's for. Thanks.