Device Disabled // RED BALL - rfs to xfs

Hello,

a few weeks ago I changed the file system from rfs to xfs. That worked great...almost. In the process I moved data from a rfs drive to an already reformated xfs drive. The xfs drive turned red (drive7) while writing to it. However reading form that drive and writing to another one worked without any problem before in that process. To solve the problem I deleted all data on drive7 and replaced that with a new one (the data was still on that rfs drive I was copying from). I rebuilt the array with a parity check and all looked good. I restarted copying the data to that new drive and so on. I also checked if I can access the data on that drive without problems (manly video files) which worked.

This night the mover tried to move files to the array and the same drive bay with the new drive red balled again. I don't know what is going on.

I added the diagnostic. Maybe somebody could take a look.

Bye.

tower-diagnostics-20180415-0810.zip

I changed the SATA cable. The drive is still read (of course).

I activated SMART on that drive and started the self test which discovered no errors. Just now I started a telnet session. I'm copying a big file form another disk to disk7 via command line. Let's see if there are any errors...

Furthermore I don't know what to do. I would probably try to rebuild that disc and see what's happening.

2 hours ago, shire said:

Hm... is copying possible? Looks like the drive is emulated and you can't copy to it via the command line.

Emulated disks can be read or written so without further information it's not clear what your problem is with copying from command line.

But, it's really much better to rebuild the disk before trying to do anything else with the array, since everything has to work a lot harder to emulate the disk (all disks are involved in the emulation), and the array is unprotected unless you have more parity disks than disabled disks.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah...it's not the drive and not the cable.

I changed the cable and tried rebuilding the drive. As soon as it started the system reported:

unRAID Disk 7 SMART health [199] Warning [TOWER] - udma crc error count is 2 1524860822 WDC_WD30EZRZ-00Z5HB0_WD-xxx (sdg) warning

To test further I changed the SATA-port (onboard to my Supermicro aoc-saslp-mv8) using the same place in my XCase drive bay (which also could be responsible). 

I was able to rebuild the drive and I now try to copy files from the cache drive into the array.

Looks like I should get a second Supermicro card.

Funny....the first thing that died on my old Supermicro mainboard was a SATA-port too before I bought the ASRock. 

24 minutes ago, shire said:

I now try to copy files from the cache drive into the array.

Not sure what this is about. The normal way is to let mover move files from cache to array instead of doing it yourself.

It is very important that you don't mix disks and user shares when copying or moving files. Only disk to disk or user share to user share. And cache is a disk.

10 minutes ago, trurl said:

Not sure what this is about. The normal way is to let mover move files from cache to array instead of doing it yourself.

It is very important that you don't mix disks and user shares when copying or moving files. Only disk to disk or user share to user share. And cache is a disk.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I started the mover manually.

23 minutes ago, trurl said:

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/66327-unraid-os-version-650-stable-release-update-notes/

A little ways down under under Solutions to Common Problems it explains these CRC warnings. There may be some other things in that post worth looking at for you.

Thanks. I used the "Common Problems Plugin" to check. There was nothing which needed a reconfiguration.

Quite interesting was that:

Marvel Hard Drive Controller Installed

That Supermicro controller is still the first card recommended in the thread "SATA controller card". That's the reason I bought it in the first place. Also I hadn't had a problem with it since I installed it a few years ago. 

Edited by shire

It seems that the mvsas driver has got more and more flaky with newer releases. I used to have success with my AOC-SAS-MV8 and AOC-SAS2-MV8 as long as I didn't try to enable IOMMU but recently they had become a liability (dropping disks for no obvious reason) so I replaced them with Dell H310s, which I'm finding more reliable and also faster.