Hard drive limit?

I am about to purchase license and have some questions.  I am thinking the 12 drive license but curious what is considered a “drive”. 

-  I currently have 6-8 internal mechanical drives. Only 4 of them are in the array and parity right now. The rest are unassigned drives.

-   1 ssd ( cache). 

- 3 5tb external.  One is my video drive For plex, two are rotated out for server backups.  

-usb thumb drive for OS. 

what does unraid consider 12 drives?   Is my usb thumb drive considered a drive?   Is it only 12 drives plugged in at a time?   I am just thinking for future planning if I should go unlimited or do the 12 drive license?  

Last question.  Any good discount codes for license?  

Thanks in advance!  

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

It is worth pointing out that the drive count check is done at the time the array is started.   You can plug in additional removable drives once the array is started without unRAID getting upset.   This can be convenient for handling backups.

So, the drive limit is ONLY drives IN the array?   Any drives external to array are NOT counted towards the drive limit?  As long as plugged in after array started.

15 minutes ago, bphillips330 said:

So, the drive limit is ONLY drives IN the array?   Any drives external to array are NOT counted towards the drive limit?  As long as plugged in after array started.

Not quite   The drive limit applies to all drives plugged into the machine (excluding the unRAID USB boot drive) that are present at the moment the array is started regardless of whether unRAID is using them.   It is only after the array has been started that removable drives can (temporarily) be plugged in without worrying about this limit.   The next time the array is started the check will be repeated so such drives cannot be left plugged in permanently.

On 4/16/2018 at 6:07 AM, itimpi said:

It is only after the array has been started that removable drives can (temporarily) be plugged in without worrying about this limit.   The next time the array is started the check will be repeated so such drives cannot be left plugged in permanently.

Exactly right.

• 2 weeks later...