How to proceed? Started an upgrade of Parity drive and 6 hours in, getting SMART warnings on another drive it is starting to fail

Hi, I've gotten great help in the past, so I always appreciate this forum.

I can upload logs if needed, but this is the scenario, just need to know how I should proceed.

I am on unRAID 6.5.0.  I am planning to expand my parity to 8TB from 4TB, so I can upgrade a couple of other HDDs to to 8 TBs afterwards.  I bought 5, 8TB HGST NAS on black Friday that I just got around to preclearing in my other rig.  I was going to recycle the old 4TB drive to my Windows machine, because I needed it there, when the parity upgrade completed, and my goal was to add a second 8TB parity, soon after.  The old 4TB parity drive is sitting unused awaiting the completion of this process, and the server has not been used (100% sure no writes to it, and 98% sure no reads from it)

I completed a parity sync/check with 0 errors 2 days ago.  Yesterday, about 6pm, I powered down and replaced the old 4TB parity with the newly precleared 8TB, checked all cables and started up.  I reassigned the parity slot to the new drive and started a rebuild. About 6 hours in, I started to get notifications that disk 17 is giving off SMART raw read errors which are slowly starting to climb. From 32774 at 12:16am to 32956 at 8:11am.  Disk 17 is a Samsung 2TB HD203WI. The main GUI screen still reports 0 errors from all drives and the parity rebuild is still moving along about 14 hours in and 24.4% with an estimated finish in 1-2 days as the speed is currently around 42 MB/sec. Disk 17 has 0 pending and 0 reallocated sectors. (SMART report included).

So, should I let it finish and make disk 17 the first drive upgraded?  In this scenario of letting it finish, am I writing corrupted data to my parity, with these raw read errors on disk 17?

Or should I stop, reinsert the old 4TB parity, set it to trust that parity is correct as the server has not been used, and rebuild disk 17 with a spare 4TB I have on hand, then try again to upgrade parity, maybe adding a second parity first with an 8TB drive then upgrade the P1 slot with an 8TB.

Or is there something else I should be doing or thinking? 

Thanks!

tower-smart-20180417-0738.zip

12 minutes ago, visionmaster said:

So, should I let it finish and make disk 17 the first drive upgraded?

Let it finish.

13 minutes ago, visionmaster said:

In this scenario of letting it finish, am I writing corrupted data to my parity, with these raw read errors on disk 17?

Not yet, disk is having some trouble but as long as there are no read errors indicated in the GUI main page you're fine, if there are later, then you can cancel the rebuild and reuse old parity.

1 hour ago, visionmaster said:

About 6 hours in, I started to get notifications that disk 17 is giving off SMART raw read errors which are slowly starting to climb. From 32774 at 12:16am to 32956 at 8:11am.

Right now, the drive is informing you that it needs multiple attempts to read some sectors.

That's not fatal but an indication that the drive may soon fail - we can't know if the read problems is caused by sloppy writes at an earlier time or if the drive really has a hard time to correctly align and read data.