Rate my upgrade

On 22/04/2018 at 9:02 PM, jonathanm said:

Yes, definitely! Those pins are extremely delicate, and should be protected either by a CPU or the cover that came with the board.

The motherboard manual should have a warning about leaving it open.

(In case someone else's Google searching brings them here)

I raised the question with Asus support (before I got the response from jonathanm), who confirmed what was said above. To quote their response:

Yes, you can leave the protective cover on. 

It is not mandatory, it can be removed - but if it is not used, it's best to keep it covered, in case something falls and damages the pins on the socket

Thought I’d do a quick update about where I am with this:

• motherboard, cpu and ram successfully installed and able to reach BIOS
  • BIOS flashed to latest version
  • installed into case - got a fair bit of work to do to tidy the cabling up. The case doesn’t easily allow for neat cabling unfortunately 

To do:

• new case fans (3 x 120mm Noctua) as the chassis fans that came with the case are LOUD!
  • port across existing HDDs. This is probably the bit I’m most nervous about since there’s lots of data on the drives
  • finish off cabling
  • once everything is working correctly, add the new 4TB drive as a new parity drive.

TLDR: so far, so good!

2 hours ago, MrLeek said:

To do:

• new case fans (3 x 120mm Noctua) as the chassis fans that came with the case are LOUD!
  • port across existing HDDs. This is probably the bit I’m most nervous about since there’s lots of data on the drives
  • finish off cabling
  • once everything is working correctly, add the new 4TB drive as a new parity drive.

Before you bring over your data drives, I would do some testing with your new drive(s), preferably validating all the slots you plan on using. If you have any old scrap drives, populate all the bays you can at once and run up a test array and play around, do some disk fails and rebuilds, etc.

Yeah, I also so advice to test your drives. I bought a new drive and did not test it. So I copied data to drive and next morning when I checked BOOM 8 relocated sectors. I asked for RMA. Only what I lost was some time (luckily) I had to copy the data again.

Edited by MvL

Yeah that’s not a bad shout. I’ve got an ancient 200gb SATA drive lying around that can be wiped and dropped into a trial array of a single drive (afaik a single drive array is fine, just obviously unprotected). Test each hot swap bay in turn, verify that the drive can be at least seen, then preclear/test the new 4TB HDD. Once everything is good, introduce the existing drives with my licensed unraid usb drive.

preclear: it’s less of a thing now judging from what I’ve read, but unraid does a “check” of its own?

34 minutes ago, MrLeek said:

preclear: it’s less of a thing now judging from what I’ve read, but unraid does a “check” of its own?

yes, no, maybe, depends on how you define check.

When unraid adds a disk, all bits are written, but no read verification takes place until some other action is taken, be it a long smart test, parity check, whatever. Unraid relies on the drive to self diagnose.

I'd use your 200GB drive in each bay like you said, then add your 4TB as parity for the 200GB array disk1 and torture test the rig with massive uploads and downloads over your network.

So far so good. Drive bays are working and the new 4TB drive is calculating parity on the test array. Although part of me is wondering what I’m gaining by doing that - maybe my old-school is showing, but every drive that survived preclear has run for ever (I’ve had one failure). 

Just seems that that the time it will take to calculate and build th test parity is about the same time it will take to preclear - and the latter feels like a more comprehensive test? Ok sure, when parity is complete I can run an extended smart test which should flag any glitches......one to ponder ? 

56 minutes ago, MrLeek said:

Although part of me is wondering what I’m gaining by doing that

At this point, you aren't just testing the drive, you are testing the entire rig, RAM, CPU, HBA, PSU, and any other TLA's I forgot.

Watch your syslog for any anomalies, just make sure everything is working well.

Last thing you want is for a dodgy bit of RAM to start corrupting the data on the drives you are going to introduce already filled with data.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, jonathanm said:

At this point, you aren't just testing the drive, you are testing the entire rig, RAM, CPU, HBA, PSU, and any other TLA's I forgot.

Watch your syslog for any anomalies, just make sure everything is working well.

Last thing you want is for a dodgy bit of RAM to start corrupting the data on the drives you are going to introduce already filled with data.

Very good points! Been pushing 160-ish GB of data over, deleting and then sending it again.

I've got a lot to learn about reading syslog (it's something that I need to get good at) - but this jumped out at me at first glance. Note that this was my actions in removing the preclear plugin (GUI) since I wasn't going to use it. Therefore I don't see this as a concern - granted it generated a LOT of php error messages, but that was flagged in the preclear app thread:

Apr 27 16:13:30 Tower emhttpd: req (9): csrf_token=****************&title=System+Log&cmd=%2FwebGui%2Fscripts%2Ftail_log&arg1=syslog
Apr 27 16:13:30 Tower emhttpd: cmd: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/scripts/tail_log syslog
Apr 27 16:14:08 Tower login[13385]: ROOT LOGIN  on '/dev/pts/0'
Apr 27 16:14:33 Tower emhttpd: req (10): cmd=/plugins/dynamix.plugin.manager/scripts/plugin&arg1=remove&arg2=preclear.disk.plg&csrf_token=****************
Apr 27 16:14:33 Tower emhttpd: cmd: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.plugin.manager/scripts/plugin remove preclear.disk.plg
Apr 27 16:14:33 Tower root: plugin: running: anonymous
Apr 27 16:14:34 Tower rc.diskinfo[13769]: killing daemon with PID [7260]
Apr 27 16:14:37 Tower nginx: 2018/04/27 16:14:37 [error] 7226#7226: *42380 FastCGI sent in stderr: "Primary script unknown" while reading response header from upstream, client: 10.0.1.30, server: , request: "POST /plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock:", host: "10.0.1.34", referrer: "http://10.0.1.34/Main"
Apr 27 16:14:37 Tower nginx: 2018/04/27 16:14:37 [error] 7226#7226: *42879 FastCGI sent in stderr: "Unable to open primary script: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php (No such file or directory)" while reading response header from upstream, client: 10.0.1.8, server: , request: "POST /plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock:", host: "10.0.1.34", referrer: "http://10.0.1.34/Plugins"
Apr 27 16:14:37 Tower nginx: 2018/04/27 16:14:37 [error] 7226#7226: *42879 FastCGI sent in stderr: "Primary script unknown" while reading response header from upstream, client: 10.0.1.8, server: , request: "POST /plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock:", host: "10.0.1.34", referrer: "http://10.0.1.34/Plugins"

30 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

diagnostics?

Don't have them yet - between the god-awful noises it was making and the fact that it didn't even get recognised in the BIOS I suspect it's dead. 

I have a new 2TB drive in now for the data rebuild (went to the store to pick up a drive before they closed for the evening). Once that's done I'll stand up that dodgy drive in the old server (prob tomorrow) and see if I can figure it out. But if the date on the front is anything to go by we're talking about a 9 y/o drive, so my expectations are quite low.

On 4/30/2018 at 8:35 PM, jonathanm said:

diagnostics?

Finally got to this - new build is just about done and ready to go live. The Current Pending Sector count increase is new - I don't think it's a showstopper, but it doesn't bode well for a server drive. May be time to put this out to pasture.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAGS    VALUE WORST THRESH FAIL RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     POSR-K   100   100   051    -    18
  2 Throughput_Performance  -OS--K   252   252   000    -    0
  3 Spin_Up_Time            PO---K   045   045   025    -    16860
  4 Start_Stop_Count        -O--CK   098   098   000    -    2512
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   PO--CK   252   252   010    -    0
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         -OSR-K   252   252   051    -    0
  8 Seek_Time_Performance   --S--K   252   252   015    -    0
  9 Power_On_Hours          -O--CK   100   100   000    -    15340
 10 Spin_Retry_Count        -O--CK   252   252   051    -    0
 11 Calibration_Retry_Count -O--CK   252   252   000    -    0
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       -O--CK   098   098   000    -    2253
191 G-Sense_Error_Rate      -O---K   100   100   000    -    53
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count -O---K   252   252   000    -    0
194 Temperature_Celsius     -O----   064   059   000    -    24 (Min/Max 14/41)
195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered  -O-RCK   100   100   000    -    0
196 Reallocated_Event_Count -O--CK   252   252   000    -    0
197 Current_Pending_Sector  -O--CK   100   100   000    -    1
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   ----CK   252   252   000    -    0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    -OS-CK   200   200   000    -    0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   -O-R-K   100   100   000    -    83
223 Load_Retry_Count        -O--CK   252   252   000    -    0
225 Load_Cycle_Count        -O--CK   100   100   000    -    2526

SAMSUNG_HD103SJ_S246J1LSC01668-20180503-2023.txt