Ryzen 2600 upgrade

Hi all,

I've recently started using Unraid (6.5) and bought the licence as everything is working well so far. Now I'm obviously got the bug and want to upgrade/merge my setups to expand into the extended features which are limited by my current setup.

Currently running unraid on a Sempron 3850 APU with 6gb DDR3. It runs well but I'm wanting to move up to a new setup:

Ryzen 2600 https://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd-ryzen-5-2600-am4-zenplus-6-core-12-thread-34ghz-39ghz-turbo-19mb-cache-65w-cpu-retail-plus-wrait

Using the https://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-x470-aorus-ultra-gaming-amd-x470-s-am4-ddr4-sata3-dual-m2-2-way-sli-crossfire-gbe-usb31-gen

I plan to merge with my existing components from a G5460 gaming build I made last year (will re-use it eventually when the ram prices come down!).  I want to take out it's Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb and 16gb DDR4 Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin Memory - BLS2C8G4D240FSB (Grey). However I'm wanting to do this to remote into the VM display and play the games that way. I can either use Steam game streaming to an i7 Dell XPS13, Nvidia streaming to an Nvidia Shield TV or if neither will work sufficiently I also have a wireless HDMI sender but that would limit me to 1080p. I've read conflicting things about needing a second GPU to be able to pass through the 1060? Can I just pass through the 1060 using the vbios if I run unraid entirely  via the web gui or do I definitely need a second gpu (have a Nvidia gt210 I could use for now)

Is it inadvisable to try this build given the only recent release of the Ryzen 2 hardware or with it being a relatively incremental increase on Ryzen 1, should I expect the current Ryzen issues I've read about here?

Thanks in advance

There's not real issues with Ryzen now - either turn off C-states in BIOS, or add the zenstates command in your go file.  Stable as a stable thing if you do either of those.

My only issue with Ryzen is a high idle power consumption, or at least it was on my Strix X370-F board.  Probably better on a B350 or whatever the cheaper boards have.

Ok, so setup and working fine so far for simple unraid usage with dockers sabz, sickrage, kodi headless, mariadb, delugevpn and OpenVPN all running for over an hour. I haven't tried plex yet though.

For information so far I haven't changed any C states options in the bios (default is auto) and I've note enabled zenstates (which is being advised by Fix Common Problems plugin.

The only issue I've had so far is I can't get the VM to boot if I passthrough the 1060 with a vbios (edited with hex editor as per the spaceinvaderone videos). I'll add a second GPU tomorrow and try again. It is a Windows 10 VM which is working via VNC on 3 cores as 6 threads. I'll leave it going overnight with a few things open (calculator, explorer, edge with a few tabs etc) to see if it crashes. Then download prime tomorrow night and see if hammering it will cause any issues.

So far though it is looking good!

• Like 1

I can't find that spare graphics card so currently stuck on VNC until I can order a 1030.

@david279 The good news is, I've tested the VM with Prime 95 for a little while and it played nice with 3 cores and 6 threads + 8gb ram for the VM. See attached screenshots.

Glad I bit the bullet and upgraded, it is rapid now compared to the now ancient Sempron I'd been using.

I have no real use case for giving the VM more cores but if anyone needs me to test anything with my setup, let me know and I'll try my best to run it if I can.

Load.PNG

Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (4).png

• Like 1
Think I've done this right for you:

Without the VM running at all

Every 2.0s: grep "cpu MHz" /proc/cpuinfo                     WHS: Fri Apr 27 00:52:10 2018
cpu MHz         : 3516.097
cpu MHz         : 2508.884
cpu MHz         : 1447.773
cpu MHz         : 1468.260

cpu MHz         : 1450.296
cpu MHz         : 1466.493
cpu MHz         : 1666.737
cpu MHz         : 1494.144

cpu MHz         : 1568.931
cpu MHz         : 1519.146
cpu MHz         : 2162.905
cpu MHz         : 2554.976

With VM running prime

Every 2.0s: grep "cpu MHz" /proc/cpuinfo                     WHS: Fri Apr 27 00:54:09 2018
cpu MHz         : 1968.570
cpu MHz         : 1967.582
cpu MHz         : 3784.486
cpu MHz         : 3784.531

cpu MHz         : 1825.635
cpu MHz         : 2003.018
cpu MHz         : 3721.696
cpu MHz         : 3721.190

cpu MHz         : 3310.675
cpu MHz         : 1988.240
cpu MHz         : 3754.720
cpu MHz         : 3754.790

VM cores/threads in bold.  I only have the 2600 which is base frequency 3400 and turbo 3900 but it appears to be hitting that, I couldn't get a copy of it as it is bouncing around the top range but it is hitting 3800+ at times.

Managed to get the 1060 passed through but not had chance to test it with any games or anything yet. Just glad I've got it working now, might try dumping the bios and moving to the one card over the weekend.
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/3/2018 at 7:59 PM, gr021857 said:

Thought I'd come back and report that after initial setup and tweaking reboots for moving old drives in and out of the array.  I have had the system running flawlessly for 25 days without zen states or any c state changes at all :)

hi, do you have any data towards idle and load consumption? would be nice to know. my ryzen 2600 system, GTX 1070ti with drives spun down consumes 90w. think its a bit too high. 60-70 would be ok. i think things will change when i set up a vm and let it run.

• 3 months later...
On 9/18/2018 at 10:49 AM, un4given said:

hi, do you have any data towards idle and load consumption? would be nice to know. my ryzen 2600 system, GTX 1070ti with drives spun down consumes 90w. think its a bit too high. 60-70 would be ok. i think things will change when i set up a vm and let it run.

Sorry I didn't see this question until now. I don't have any usage figures, would need a Watt measurer and I don't have one. 

9 minutes ago, gr021857 said:

Hey, unfortunately not. I ended up buying a low profile GT 1030 from amazon warehouse on black friday. Set that up as the primary gpu in the bios and then as soon as I did that the 1060 worked straight away no problem. 

Did you have that VBIOS working with a previous CPU/board but it just wouldn't work with this one? Or was this your first time with that GPU and VBIOS?

3 minutes ago, ksignorini said:

Did you have that VBIOS working with a previous CPU/board but it just wouldn't work with this one? Or was this your first time with that GPU and VBIOS?

I had it running on a motherboard with integrated graphics. Moved to the new motherboard where it was the only gpu and it didn't work. Followed all the guides and nothing. Used an AMD card in another slot and it then worked straight away again. So I gave up and got the cheap 1030 when it was on offer.