Help getting the most out of my gigabit internet connection

Hey all! Been running Unraid server plus on my home nas/plex server now for about a year and i have to say its been an amazing experience.  Not one single crash or hiccup.

I recently got a gigabit fiber connection installed in my home.  Currently i'm running a Plex server and sharing my library with friends and family, all told i'm sharing with 20 people.  

Server consists of dual Opteron 6380 2.5ghz 16core CPU's and 32gb of ram along with (currently) a 9TB array and a 250gb samsung 850evo for cache drive all running through a (not pictured) LSI 9211-8i raid card. in my testing its handled 14 simultaneous 1080p streams transcoded down to 2mbps 720p before one or more streams start to buffer.

Now that all that is out of the way, i noticed while downloading i'm unable to obtain my theoretical maximum internet speed, i'm assuming that this is a limitation of the Ethernet cable connecting my server to my router? My knowledge of networking is fairly limited and that's why i'm turning here for some guidance and information.  My server is located quite close to my router, a cable run of 15feet would be plenty long, although currently its hooked up with a 100ft cable.

My motherboard has dual gigabit ethernet ports, and i'm wondering if there is some way to run two cables to the server if i would be able to pull my maximum download speed (or is the 2nd port just for failover) which should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 135MB/s.  The other reason why i'm wondering about this is if i have several people on my plex server at once, using anywhere between 10-100MB/s of my upload bandwidth wouldn't that also limit how much download i can be pulling into the server at the same time.  I"m worried that while downloading, and having people watching plex that those people watching shows will experience buffering during downloading on my end.

Apologies in advance if this is just a stupid question to try and solve a very first world problem lol

Network information in unraid:

bond0: fault-tolerance (active-backup), mtu 1500

eth0: 1000Mb/s, full duplex, mtu 1500

eth1: not connected

server.thumb.jpg.055b45056206851ccb055b5092a2f31d.jpg

5ade8398e37d0_Downloadredacted.thumb.png.bf92930dd68531ca914585369a6a221c.png

it should theoretically be somewhere around 135MB/s, but that's more of a moot point, 110MB/s is plenty fast. My main concern is that while downloading at that speed am i completely saturating the gigabit link between my router and my server such that if while downloading a couple people are watching an original quality plex stream requiring 10MB/s of upload each, will their streams buffer because of my download? or does the gigabit link work in both directions simultaneously?

All of this can be sorted rather easily by just limiting the bandwidth available to SABnzbd but i wanted to see if i could avoid that ;)

Thanks!

Bidirectional flow requires some headroom to communicate acknowledgements and such. If you have your download totally saturated, your upload will suffer because the two way communication needed isn't getting through.

You really need some decent QOS with a relatively high power router to deal with that much traffic efficiently. I recommend a pfsense install or something similar, or, like you say, artificially limit your downloads just shy of max so your uploads can get acks through.

• Like 1

I use https://www.newsdemon.com/ . I live in Canada. Their plans are really cheap ($10 for unlimited download and I’ve yet to find an isp it won’t max out also comes with VPN access that I have used on occasion for out of country Netflix and its worked well)

if if you do end up switching feel free to use my referral link to earn me a free month :)

https://www.newsdemon.com/?ref=12012665