NAS

mc fix for nobody user

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

I am in the process of cleaning up years of unRAID tweaks.

The way unRAID ships when you install mc and run it as "nobody" you have problems.

This fixes it for me and some variation could probably fix it for everyone. I dont remember if mc is shipped native, if not it should be.

#====================================================================================================
#Fix mc running as nobody
#====================================================================================================
/usr/bin/mkdir -p /.cache/mc
/usr/bin/mkdir -p /.local/share/mc
/usr/bin/mkdir -p /.config/mc

I have been using mc for ages. It is included with all versions of unraid (for years at least) - and can be invoked simpy by typing "mc" in a shell. Never had to install anything, but i do use it as root.

mc is native, but it typically runs as root. What are you using/doing to purposefully run mc as the user nobody?

yes, if you are working with array files you should run mc as the typical array file owner nobody and not root.

If you try to do this mc will complain without above fix.

As a example of my usage for content only

sudo -u nobody mc /mnt/user/downloads/ /mnt/user/movies/

Ok. I take the easy way out and just run the chmod command afterwards... :D (plus access to the files over samba is via admin user, so root permissions need not apply)

To be fair so did I for many years but I realised the 90% of my "mc" sessions were between 2 or 3 base locations so once I figured out the solution above I just setup a few aliases and now its second nature to type "unmcm" for "unRAID Midnight Commander Movies".