Newbie Here! Formatting Question

Hi Guys,

I just built my first server just over a month ago.  Nice to have moved over. Best decision I have made since I built this thing.

Server Specs

32 gigs ram ECC
Ryzen 8 core processor
Asrock x370 pro 4 board
5 – 10TB Seagate Drives
Thermaltake Core W200 Dual System Capable Extreme Water Cooling XL-ATX Fully Modular/Dismantle Stackable Tt Certified Super Tower Computer Case.
5 Fans installed
Corsair 750W PSU

I started out with Freenas,  but my frustration level was getting too high.  Nice system but it has a lot higher learning curve. Not as flexible,  connection issues,  and I find the forums there the people are too critical with the builds and questions. It should be about learning and sharing.  I did a little homework and here I am.  Very nice software, the pros diffidently out weigh the cons.    

I'm in the process of getting familiar with everything and getting set up.  I screwed a few things up but I'm getting there.  The one thing I'm not sure of  was I suppose to format the parity drive?  I did have something on the drive.. I just assumed it would get formatted, but I don't think it did. 

Thanks

Badboy Nas

1 minute ago, Badboy said:

The one thing I'm not sure of  was I suppose to format the parity drive?  I did have something on the drive.. I just assumed it would get formatted, but I don't think it did. 

Parity drive doesn't have a filesystem so it doesn't have a format. Many people have a very vague idea about what format does. "Format" means "write an empty filesystem to this disk". That is what it has always meant in every operating system you have ever used.

Parity is just a bunch of bits calculated from all the other bits of all the data disks in the array. There are no files on parity, so no filesystem, so no format. And in case it's not obvious, you can't recover any files from parity. Parity plus all the other disks are required to calculate the data from a missing disk.

11 minutes ago, Badboy said:

It looks like there's still some data on them.

There is definitely data on them, but it's not files. The organizational structure that is a fresh format has lots of data, in the form of reserved space for file metadata. Think of it as the structure needed to properly maintain your files. Physically, it would be the filing cabinet. All the structures needed to eventually support and access your files, but currently empty of user data.

It may look like wasted space to you, but a robust structure is a good thing. A good sturdy filing cabinet is MUCH better than a pile of file folders laying around the floor.:D