First time UnRaid - Looking for Build advices

syniex

Hey,

I am about to build a UnRaid server for Plex,Some virtual Machine (mostly Project tests) and as NAS.

I am searching for recommend hardware to buy (Amazon) with the limit of 1.2k$ (Doesn't need HDDs bought from Best Buy on Black Friday)

I was thinking about Ryzen 2700 Build with Define R5 case (a lot of hdd support).

Appreciate any reply.

Since no one else has jumped in, I thought I would give the benefit of a response.  Your request is basically too lacking in details.  

You have specified that you like a case and that you have hard drives but you didn't tell us how many.  You also failed to specified how many hard drives you want to end up in this server.  You also didn't provide us with much information on the type and usage for your VM's.  What type of GPU were you envisioning?  All of this information is necessary in determining PS size.  

You will also need one or two SSD's for use in a cache setup.

The CPU question is one that you might want to explore more at length when you have defined how you want to use Plex. (Transcoding on the fly requires lots of CPU horsepower.)  With VM's, if you only want to browse the WEB and use office apps, you have more options that if you are a gaming buff or want to do a lot of video editing/rendering.

$1200 seems like a lot of money until you actually start to purchase stuff.  You need to start by estimating the PS, SDD, and GPU costs for your budget (there are fewer choices for those items which makes a preliminary selection a bit easier) and see what you have left for the MB and CPU.  That will give you a feel for where you might have to make compromises.  

Well I can confirm it works with 2700, I just upgraded using a X370 board that I updated.  Big thing is RAM price in this build. How much do you want... Few VMs for testing and plex, figure 16GB minimum if testing with Windows. I run with 32 and prices now are a bit nuts so get just what you need for now. Make sure you get X470 or have access to a Ryzen 1000 series chip to update a X370. B350 is overclockable but I worry about expansion options. I also use a 9211i flashed to IT mode in my pci-e 2.0 x16 slot running in X4 speed. Also remember you need a graphics card as the Ryzen non-G don’t have onboard video. Good luck!

first time build. Do yourself a favor and just go intel. Unless you love to solve problem after problem and you more interest in fixing your computer and issues rather than using it. Ryzen support has got better I'm told but Intel just works. Out of the box. Like you would expect. 

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay was in a trip.

So i got myself a
CPU: Ryzen 2700

Motherboard: Asus x470 prime Pro

SSD: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 (for Cache)

PS: 550 Evga G3 Power Supply

Ram: Corsair LPX 48GB DRAM 3000 C15

HDD: 4x8TB WD Red

Case:Define R5

didn't bought any GPU (will get the cheapest one i can get)

right now i am pre-clearning all the 8TB Hard Disks.

That will take a long time (already 4 Hours in the process and only 31% on Pre-Read)