Proliant server vs. Supermicro motherboard

I am not sure what path to continue. I got myself a SuperMicro X7DBE+ with dual cpus  (Xeon x5460) and 32 GB to upgrade my server to v6. As it is a huge motherboard, it wouldn’t fit my chassi. I got hold of a used proliant chassi, and discovered it still had mb, cpu and raid controller installed. Now I can’t decide what to use. The raid controller is a hp smart array p410, and based on info here, will not be used. Afaik this server has one xeon E5507 2,26GHz and nine memory slots for 8500 and 10600 RAM. The SuperMicro card won’t fit into the Proliant chassi. 

My intended use is primary for storage (currently 11 drives total) and running Plex. With unRaid 6, I’ll probably run some hobby VMs and Dockers, but nothing requiring much performance.

Based on above info, should I buy memory (12,24GB?) for the Proliant (1 E5507, PC10600 RAM), or should I find another chassi for the SuperMicro (2 X5460 , 32 G 533MHz PC2 FB-dimm?) I am not familiar with processor performance, what is the difference between the two, except for the obvious with generations and stuff...

Lars Olof

2 hours ago, 1812 said:

you can read about proliants and unRaid in my sig. If you can live with the proliant performance for your needs, then sell the other parts and take someone special out to dinner. But you will need an hba with the hp server.

I guess I can live without those 4 GHz, and 22 MB cache, really, but it will feel strange to let the opportunity pass :) I’ll just have to keep telling myself that power consumtion alone will keep me a happy man. I have to wait and see what I can get hold of first, a huge chassi or a decent amount of memory at the right price...