Asus M4A785-M - Level 1 tested

I just had one of these MB laying around and tried to use it for an unraid test box.  I created the usb boot key and successfully booted into unraid, but at the tower prompt, entering ifconfig eth0 didn't get me an ip address, nor can I access tower.  I didn't have my key named UNRAID first time but I later changed the volume label to UNRAID and still can't get eth0 to show up with an up addy.

I get

eth0    Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 90:e6:ba:a2:52:xx

UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX etc...

TX ...

collisions ....

RX ....

Interrupt:26 Base Address:0xa000

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The resolution to the network address not being found was to add a gig of memory.

This computer was running fine with 2 1gb sticks of ddr2, but since unraid is so lightweight, I pulled one of them.  I test booted into win7 ult to verify that the computer would still work, and connect to the internet with only 1gb. 

It appears that UNRAID will only work with 2gb ram on this mb.

computers sometimes make little sense.......

It appears that UNRAID will only work with 2gb ram on this mb.

Don't think so, I have this MB and 1GB of RAM memory all is running fine.

Funny to read the troubles people have with this board, in my case it was up and running from the first time I set the BIOS and never touched it again (need to say that I upgraded to the latest BIOS at the time of installation)!

My experience with Asus goes years back and they have never disappointed me! Still have some "old" stuff of them running happily.

I have this board and have been running with 4 data, 1 parity, 1 cache for over a year.

I just started using my AOC-SASLP-MV8 with a new drive.

The biggest complaint I have about this board is that everytime I add a new disk, I have to go in and adjust the bios to reset it to boot off the USB.

I have been thinking of using a gigabyte  880ga-ud3h which has 8 sata ports on board and two pci-e slots but I can't get it to play nice with the AOC-SASLP-MV8 card.

I guess I should submit my data to get this to level-2 cert.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been able to get the flash to boot after adding a hard drive?  Everytime I added one last night I had to go back into the bios and re-arange the boot order.  Some much for a headless server.

This is a common problem with a lot of boards.  I just built a very nice server for a client using the Supermicro X8SIL-F-O board and a norco 4224 that exhibits the same symptom.  I am looking into ways to fix this, but have not run across anything yet.

I have a gigabyte board (HPA is off by defualt) that I can move drives around all I want and the usb drive will still remain the boot drive.  Hell, I recently switched out the USB drive to do some testing and I did not have to do anything in the BIOS.  I plugged in the different USB, booted the drive, and everything worked like a charm.

I will be sending an email off to Supermicro about the issue and see what they say.  The only benefit my client has is that as long as he keeps a keyboard attached he can hit DEL to get into the BIOS and then connected to the server through IPMI so he can set the flash drive up again as the boot drive.

Has anyone been able to get the flash to boot after adding a hard drive?  Everytime I added one last night I had to go back into the bios and re-arange the boot order.  Some much for a headless server.

This is a common problem with a lot of boards.  I just built a very nice server for a client using the Supermicro X8SIL-F-O board and a norco 4224 that exhibits the same symptom.  I am looking into ways to fix this, but have not run across anything yet.

I have a gigabyte board (HPA is off by defualt) that I can move drives around all I want and the usb drive will still remain the boot drive.  Hell, I recently switched out the USB drive to do some testing and I did not have to do anything in the BIOS.  I plugged in the different USB, booted the drive, and everything worked like a charm.

I will be sending an email off to Supermicro about the issue and see what they say.  The only benefit my client has is that as long as he keeps a keyboard attached he can hit DEL to get into the BIOS and then connected to the server through IPMI so he can set the flash drive up again as the boot drive.

Funny, how that is.  Never had this problem with any of my last (3) Gigabyte motherboards.  I was going to use one of them until I found out I can't disable HPA at all.  Now I get this as a replacement.  What a pain in the ass.

Has anyone been able to get the flash to boot after adding a hard drive?  Everytime I added one last night I had to go back into the bios and re-arange the boot order.  Some much for a headless server.

I recently added a drive, and had no problems with booting from flash.  Wonder what the difference is between setups?

In my experience, this is generally only a problem when you add a new drive to a port connected to the motherboard.  For ports connected to a SATA expansion card, you should be able to disable the ability to steal boot priority.  For example, in the Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards, go into the card's BIOS and disable INT13 (do this for every card in the system).  Any drive added to that card will no longer be bootable, and therefore will never steal boot priority.  So generally you can get it down to only about 6 ports that will steal boot priority.  Still can be a pain, of course, but at least it is better.

Then again, with this particular board I've given up all hope.

Has anyone been able to get the flash to boot after adding a hard drive?  Everytime I added one last night I had to go back into the bios and re-arange the boot order.  Some much for a headless server.

This is typical of the ASUS boards I have seen.  Add a drive and the BIOS does you a "favor" by seeing which drive you now want to boot off...