Xpenology VM any one running this ?

23 minutes ago, maxse said:

Resurrecting an old thread here but I have question. I'm looking for an simple way to backup my unraid to a remote location. I want to purchase an 8-bay synology NAS to place at a friend's place. 

Would it be possible to run the XPEnology VM on my unraid at home, and use their hyperbackup to backup the unraid shares to the remote synology? Would I also be able to create snapshots of the shared folder on my home unraid machine?

That would be amazing and just go this thought. I am currently attempting to use cludberry to an ofiste unraid running minio and it's just been such as hassle. 

*EDIT*

Hmmm now that I think about. I wouldn't mind even purchasing a small 2-bay synology NAS if this could be done. I can't seen to find any info though.

Do you guys know if I could the Synology Hyperbackup on the network shares from unraid, and than back those shares up to the remote Synology?

I'm running 3615 in VM. I'm not sure about hyberbackup but other Synology apps are working fine including Surveillance. 

Finally got the update working also on the 3617x - You need to run this script in order to do the latest DSM updates:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28183-running-623-on-esxi-synoboot-is-broken-fix-available/

However, if Jun's script is re-run after the system is fully started, everything is as it should be. So extracting the script from the loader, and adding it to post-boot actions appears to be a solution to this problem:

Download the attached FixSynoboot.sh script (if you cannot see it attached to this post, be sure you are logged in)

Copy the file to /usr/local/etc/rc.d
chmod 0755 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/FixSynoboot.sh
Thus, Jun's own code will re-run after the initial boot after whatever system initialization parameters that break the first run of the script no longer apply. This solution works with either 1.03b or 1.04b and is simple to install. This should be considered required for a virtual system running 6.2.3, and it won't hurt anything if installed or ported to another environment.

1) Check file is in temp dir

ls /volume1/Temp/FixSynoboot.sh

sudo -i

cp /volume1/Temp/FixSynoboot.sh /usr/local/etc/rc.d

chmod 0755 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/FixSynoboot.sh

ls -la /usr/local/etc/rc.d/FixSynoboot.sh

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 2184 May 18 17:54 FixSynoboot.sh

Ensure the file configuration is correct, reboot the nas and FixSynoboot will be enabled.

That's it I am now running:

image.png.d002c8f6769742cc69267a939b08165e.png

I even did a test running the new migration tool, migrating all 8-9TB and all apps and configuration from my own Synology 3617

Just wanted to try to see if I could create a full running backup on my Unraid server

Sofar only thing that doesn't seem to work is my 

image.png.a91a4ffa9fdf3dfcc0e9bbd7967688cb.png

But again not sure I want to run virtual machines on a virtual NAS LOL!

But anyway if someone knows how to fix this it could be fun to do a benchmark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are yuo folks doing this mainly to use the few apps like the camera app, or are you using synology for any actual storage and its DSM features?

I am interested if I could just run the synolgy VM and use its DSM and SHR-2 have it set as a hyperbackup vault for another synology off site and just use the synology features? I'm just confused because Im still a noob to VMs. Would it be possible to pass through the actual drives not the unraid shares, and have the xpenology VM format the drives as it needs for their own hybrid raid and btrfs file system? I wan to then be able to utilize the snapshot feature in DSM... 

Would appreciate some help on this

I was off the news regarding Unraid for quite a while...

but, if you want to have drives in a VM and do more with them then just store some unimportant stuff, it might be a better Idea to not pass a drive directly to a VM , but to pass an entire controller to the VM. Like a SATA controller over pci(e) or passing some pci(e) connected controllers off the motherboard itself. Same with usb devices and usb controllers.

One thing that would be interesting for me would be the Synology Active Backup feature. I would set up an Unraid box, put a xpenology VM on it and would like to use that to backup ESXi VMs either to UNRAID itself or to a storage on the Synology VM. I am not certain yet if that would work.... I just found out about Synologys Active Backup capabilities on free ESXi servers myself.

That's interesting, but I am using an LSI controller. So it would end up passing all of the drives then?

Can anyone else help with this please? I am thinking of using XPENology on my remoe server to simply have it as the target for Hyper Backup Vault, and to easily be able to back up with sftp instead of running minio.

So quick question.

I have a supermicro 846 SAS2 chasis with an Asus board and LSI controller currently running unraid with an i5.

Would it be possible to run a stable version of Xpenology virtualized in in unraid and make the adjustments in Xpenology to see and format all the 24 drives in Synology? That would be amazing because I'm thinking I could use then transfer the VM to an X8SIL board with the same chasis and have it be a huge synology hyper back up vault set up!

Can anyone help with this or think it's a bad idea? I am currently testing out minio with a vm of cloudberry which took me forever to get working and it still errors out from time to time and I can't get a another off site synology to back up to it with s3 because it just won't work with the minio S3 :( So this would be a great solution!

I've run XPEnology for 2+ years with passed through whole disks done i the same way you would pass a full disk to any other VM in unRAID without any issue what so ever.
If you are in doubt about how to pass a full disk to a VM, see "spaceinvaderone's" exelent video on the topic.
But when it is passed into the VM, you would just format it in the synology DSM software like if it was a standalone box. 

Hope this helps you going 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Do guys know if I could set this entire thing up while the unraid server is in a remote location? I have access to the machine through VPN on an rpi... Would I be able to set this entire thing up without having physical access to the server the remote location?

Thhank you so much @Baskedk I want to get this going with snapshots on a remote machine and back up to it via sftp with snapshots, since I don't want to rely on minio. But the machine is in a remote location right now and I'm wondering if I could get this all going remotely while connected through the VPN, or if I have to have physical contact with the machine during certain steps?

I will read through this thread again, I did twice already before and I believe the bootloader is linked within this thread? But just in case, which one should I use? This will be strictly for a remote sftp server with snapshots that I will rclone too. Supermicro 8XSIL board with an LSI controller and HP port expander. Node 804 has capicity for 12 drives which is all I want to run in this. It currently had 8, not includng the unraid cache drive and I want to be able to use all 12 for xpenology

*EDIT*

BTW, I plan to set up sftp on it, and use rclone from my main unraid to back up to the xpenology/synology using sftp on a different port. other than 22. It seems that it's just a matter of checking off some boxes on the xpenology to allow this. Will this automatically make it secure and an encrypted transfer, or will I also need to set up letsencrypt, like I have been doing with the minio intance? Or is that all built-in to the synology/xpenology all I need to do is forward a port and check of some boxes in the DSM?

Edited by maxse

No need to have a certificate to run sftp on the DSM. And yes, you can change the port DSM uses for sftp inside the settings there.

I can't see why not you could do the entire setup remotely. It should only be for adding disks to the setup as i see it.

As for which bootloader version to use, it varies a bit for people what works.
I believe I've used the setup @bmac6996 provided the details for on page 3 in this threat here. 

As for how to get going, there is a well documented tutorial from the XPEnology forums here: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7973-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-61x-juns-loader/

And here is the serial generator for it as well: https://xpenogen.github.io/serial_generator/

Just make sure you don't use any of the Synology Quickconnect features with xpenology, since it is the one thing that directly communicates with synology's servers. If you need remote access to your instance, forward ports to it 😉

12 hours ago, Baskedk said:

No need to have a certificate to run sftp on the DSM. And yes, you can change the port DSM uses for sftp inside the settings there.

I can't see why not you could do the entire setup remotely. It should only be for adding disks to the setup as i see it.

As for which bootloader version to use, it varies a bit for people what works.
I believe I've used the setup @bmac6996 provided the details for on page 3 in this threat here. 

As for how to get going, there is a well documented tutorial from the XPEnology forums here: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7973-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-61x-juns-loader/

And here is the serial generator for it as well: https://xpenogen.github.io/serial_generator/

Just make sure you don't use any of the Synology Quickconnect features with xpenology, since it is the one thing that directly communicates with synology's servers. If you need remote access to your instance, forward ports to it 😉

Thank you sooo much! Looks complex though, but I think I figured out what I will do.

I am just going to conitnue running minio docker with letsencrypt reverse proxy, and use rclone. There aren't any limits on file count sfor minio as far as I understand. The biggest issue then becomes the versioning that synology would provide via the snapshots, in case of ransomware getting accidentally synced, etc... I guess I'll have to be extra careful and then hopefully soon unraid will have the ability to take snapshots.... I just didn't want to have to rely on another program like minio in case I need to recover and something crashes with its database, I won't be able to read the files... unfortunately, it seems too difficult to set up sftp on the unraid, and also again, no versioning. I would just get the 12bay synology already but it's soo $$$

Hey guys i have a IBM X3300 M4 server and im currently running the latest unraid in it. i have been trying to get this working while being a newbie with servers and codes. im having a problem where i cant look for the server on the find.synology.com site. can any one explain amd help me with this problem. any further information you need can be provided. thanks in advance ! 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Not sure if already asked. I use unRAID on Intel G5400 with 32GB RAM

Got my Xpenology runnig as DS918+. I would also use Synology Virtual Machine Manager but got this never running on Virtual XPenology installations. 
Only it´s worked when I did a XPenology BareMetall installation. Any idea how I could get this running also with unRAID.

15 minutes ago, ffb said:

Not sure if already asked. I use unRAID on Intel G5400 with 32GB RAM

Got my Xpenology runnig as DS918+. I would also use Synology Virtual Machine Manager but got this never running on Virtual XPenology installations. 
Only it´s worked when I did a XPenology BareMetall installation. Any idea how I could get this running also with unRAID.

That can't be done unfortunately. 

You can not run a hypervisor i site another hypervisor. So if you want to use Synology virtual manager you'll have to install xpenology directly on to the metal. And make sure that your hardware supports virtualization. 

• 1 month later...

Update:

Its working now!

Issue was to set the Disk1, the boot image, to SATA and not to USB. :)

Hello,

i am new to unRAID and runnig a 6.9 RC2 in trial mode.

Now, i want to use Xpenology to migrate my stuff from my DS718+. I dont plan to migrate the system at all, but i like to bring up some of the Synology Apps again and use it. Moments, AudioStation etc.

I went far, i tried all of the different tutorials, but what ever i try, it always ends with error 13.

Right now i am using the file synoboot_104b_ds918plus_virtio_9p.img.

I filled in the Serial Number i created, the MAC adress from the vm in the grub file.

It boots up nice, i choose the VM option, it shows the setup assistant, all is smooth and easy.

But when it comes to the install, all the downloaded files i tried failed with error 13.

Who can help me, please?

Here is my VM:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<domain type='kvm' id='12'>
  <name>CentOS</name>
  <uuid>b65e3769-677b-4144-8885-a35ecc7482fd</uuid>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="CentOS" icon="centos.png" os="centos"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>1048576</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>1048576</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>1</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='0'/>
  </cputune>
  <resource>
    <partition>/machine</partition>
  </resource>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-5.1'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/b65e3769-677b-4144-8885-a35ecc7482fd_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none' migratable='on'>
    <topology sockets='1' dies='1' cores='1' threads='1'/>
    <cache mode='passthrough'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/isos/synoboot_104b_ds918plus_virtio_9p.img' index='2'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='usb'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <alias name='usb-disk2'/>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </disk>
      <source file='/mnt/disks/WDC_WDS240G2G0A-00JH30_181843806717/domains/CentOS/vdisk2.img' index='1'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>
      <alias name='sata0-0-3'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'>
      <alias name='pcie.0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='1' port='0x10'/>
      <alias name='pci.1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='2' port='0x11'/>
      <alias name='pci.2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='3' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='3' port='0x12'/>
      <alias name='pci.3'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='4' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='4' port='0x13'/>
      <alias name='pci.4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x3'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='5' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='5' port='0x14'/>
      <alias name='pci.5'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x4'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='6' model='pcie-to-pci-bridge'>
      <model name='pcie-pci-bridge'/>
      <alias name='pci.6'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <alias name='virtio-serial0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <alias name='ide'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='1'>
      <alias name='sata1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x06' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci2'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <master startport='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci3'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <master startport='4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:3f:a5:31'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <target dev='vnet0'/>
      <model type='virtio-net'/>
      <alias name='net0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <source path='/dev/pts/0'/>
      <target type='isa-serial' port='0'>
        <model name='isa-serial'/>
      </target>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty' tty='/dev/pts/0'>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <source mode='bind' path='/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/channel/target/domain-12-CentOS/org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0' state='disconnected'/>
      <alias name='channel0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
      <alias name='input0'/>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='2'/>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'>
      <alias name='input1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'>
      <alias name='input2'/>
    </input>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='5900' autoport='yes' websocket='5700' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='de'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='65536' vgamem='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <alias name='video0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </video>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <alias name='balloon0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
  <seclabel type='dynamic' model='dac' relabel='yes'>
    <label>+0:+100</label>
    <imagelabel>+0:+100</imagelabel>
  </seclabel>
</domain>

Edited by Commerzpunk
On 3/3/2021 at 5:59 AM, C-Fu said:

I just did a 3615, with a vfio bind of a realtek card that I know worked bare-metal. Connections keep dropping out for some reason over time. Does anybody know why and how to fix this?

The 36xx Models have 4 Intel Ethernet cards so I ended up dedicating such a card as a HW passthrough and it works perfectly

I had trouble when I only used one of my MB ethernet

image.png.f5b1021352daa1cce8e0a854254f8183.png

I now have speed and connectivity like on my Unraid

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2021 at 9:50 PM, casperse said:

The 36xx Models have 4 Intel Ethernet cards so I ended up dedicating such a card as a HW passthrough and it works perfectly

I had trouble when I only used one of my MB ethernet

image.png.f5b1021352daa1cce8e0a854254f8183.png

I now have speed and connectivity like on my Unraid

YES! This is exactly what I wanted to do... but doesn't seem to work :(

What I did:
Did a vfio-bind of my dual realtek card

image.thumb.png.ec374a49780db67485fd1c429110c05f.png

Like so. then added two virtual MACs ending with 56 and 57.
Didn't work. 

Removed the virtual MACs.

Didn't work.

Can you share your xml?

On 3/17/2021 at 5:36 PM, C-Fu said:

YES! This is exactly what I wanted to do... but doesn't seem to work :(

What I did:
Did a vfio-bind of my dual realtek card

image.thumb.png.ec374a49780db67485fd1c429110c05f.png

Like so. then added two virtual MACs ending with 56 and 57.
Didn't work. 

Removed the virtual MACs.

Didn't work.

Can you share your xml?

This is not the XML its the HW passthrough of the eth. - I didnt do any manuel editing I just crossed [X] of the 4 LAN in the UI (Nothing virtual, MAC etc clean passthrough of the HW)

Space invader makes a great video on how to get this working

(Sorry whole family have ben down with Corona so that's why I haven't replied before now 🙂)

Edited by casperse
  • Like 1

Hello i have a problem, i am getting error 13. I use 1.04 loader for ds918+ i already tried the loader for DS3617 and DS3615 but i cant get it detected on network. so i am stock with the ds918+ loader. But for some reason i cant install the dsm i am getting error 13

i already changed the mac adresse but still the same problem. i tried to install DSM_DS918+_23739 and DSM_DS918+_25426 without luck. i hope one of you guys have the answer to my problem 😁

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<domain type='kvm' id='48'>
  <name>CentOS</name>
  <uuid>ae164b18-059b-b33f-c22c-c8ab30fe4da1</uuid>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="CentOS" icon="centos.png" os="centos"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>1048576</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>1048576</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>1</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='0'/>
  </cputune>
  <resource>
    <partition>/machine</partition>
  </resource>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-5.1'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/ae164b18-059b-b33f-c22c-c8ab30fe4da1_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none' migratable='on'>
    <topology sockets='1' dies='1' cores='1' threads='1'/>
    <cache mode='passthrough'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
      <source file='/mnt/user/isos/synoboot.img' index='2'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='usb'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <alias name='usb-disk2'/>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </disk>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/CentOS/vdisk3.img' index='1'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>
      <alias name='sata0-0-3'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'>
      <alias name='pcie.0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='1' port='0x10'/>
      <alias name='pci.1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='2' port='0x11'/>
      <alias name='pci.2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='3' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='3' port='0x12'/>
      <alias name='pci.3'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='4' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='4' port='0x13'/>
      <alias name='pci.4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x3'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <alias name='virtio-serial0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <alias name='ide'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci2'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <master startport='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci3'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <master startport='4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:f7:1a:d3'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <target dev='vnet0'/>
      <model type='e1000'/>
      <alias name='net0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target type='isa-serial' port='0'>
        <model name='isa-serial'/>
      </target>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty' tty='/dev/pts/0'>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <source mode='bind' path='/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/channel/target/domain-48-CentOS/org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0' state='disconnected'/>
      <alias name='channel0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
      <alias name='input0'/>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='2'/>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'>
      <alias name='input1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'>
      <alias name='input2'/>
    </input>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='5900' autoport='yes' websocket='5700' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='da'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='65536' vgamem='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <alias name='video0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </video>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <alias name='balloon0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
  <seclabel type='dynamic' model='dac' relabel='yes'>
    <label>+0:+100</label>
    <imagelabel>+0:+100</imagelabel>
  </seclabel>
</domain>

Skærmbillede 2021-03-31 142312.png

Hi all. I would like to try and install XPEnology as a VM on unRAID. I will do a passthrough of 2 HDDs and a PCI card with 2 network interfaces. My question is what do I need to change in synoboot.img file. Just the serial number and NIC MAC address? What about VID and PID? Can I leave those as is? Anything else worth mentioning?

EDIT: Successfully installed. No VID, PID change required

Followed the thread on xpenology forum

Edited by yogy

Probably just FYI ... I have been running Xpenology as a VM on my Unraid for about a year. Xpenology was my main NAS on a few bare metal builds but I liked the looks of Unriad and have been very happy on 6.8.3 (mainly spinning down drives and SSD cache pool for VM's dockers). I have setup Xpenology with a virtual disk, changed the virtio network adapter to e1000e as per many of the forums and works well. HOWEVER I have recently upgraded to 6.9.1 and found that I can not get Xpenology to run and it appears to panic so does not even get a network address (just like the old days). I have to say I didn't spend too long trying to fix and ended up rolling back to 6.8.3 (no data loss, just needed to use the backup of my flash disk to get the cache pool back). If anybody has been playing and worked a way around this or spotted whats causing the problem please post. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...