Xpenology VM any one running this ?

Hi all 

I would really like a guide on how to setup an xpenology VM, All i really want it for is to use the DS Cam app (its a great CCTV option with such low cpu usage) and DS download and DS file for the other half to browse the shares. 

Currently i have a genuine Syno box looking at the unraid server but its old and really slow as its also doing the CCTV.  I has Xpenology on the bare metal that my unraid server is now on and she used it fine. She cant get her head around unraid so really would love a Xpenology VM. 

Can anyone help? 

i have tried this but cant seem to get it to work, The docker does not work for me and i posted on here for some help but got no reply a few weeks back. 

My main need is a CCTV application that does not use CPU power. I tried the one in windows but it hammers the CPU as its obviously doing some on the fly rendering. the synology camera software uses a minimal amount of CPU as in less than 1% of my Xeon when it was on barebone. Running a windows VM and then some software chunks at the ram and CPU so is a poor solution in my eyes as it then does not leave enough horse power for doing a few other tasks smoothly such as transcoding on plex. 

the DSM software is so well refined for hardware use due to most of their hardware lacking power so optimizing the software is key for them. 

I just cant seem to get it to install, i would even buy some one a beer to set it up for me but cant find anyone around who seems to know how to set it up thats active any more. 

10 hours ago, Randall8686 said:

no one got this working?

Since you're not getting any traction I'll throw out an idea. Find a prebuilt vmdk image of XPenology and you'll be able to run it natively in unRaid. Here is a link on how to create a VM with the vmdk. Essentially:

I had no problems getting this to run!    I did the following when creating the VM:

• create a new VM and select the Centos option
  • make sure that the Advanced view is selected (at top right)
  • set the BIOS to use SeaBios
  • Set the primary vdisk to use SATA, Manual mode and then set the path to point to the .vmdk file
  • set the network to a bridged connection (br0 in my case)
  • create the VM

it will now be running and you can connect to it via the built-in VNC Remote or via a VNC client running on another machine (using the port shown for the running VM).   If you want to connect directly to the VM bypassing VNC then you will need to gets its IP address either from your router, or using a scanning application such as Fing, or by doing an ‘ifconfig’ command from a login via VNC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I actually did got this to work. I created a VM with the Windows 7 Template. Added the vdisks I needed then save the VM (not boot). I edited the XML, look for the network card and change type to e1000. Afterwards you can install xpenology. After installation im not sure on this part, but I think I edited the XML again and made cdrom (xpenology iso) to boot order 1 and the vdisks to boot order 2 and so on.

OK i have tried everything to get this to work with zero success, i cannot find any guides online that work and the docker does not work either. I have tried contacting the docker owner with no success i can get the iso to book but it just says SHELL and goes no further.

so my question is:

if i run a win 10 VM and then use virtual box in that to run xpenology (dozens of guides for this) apart from the additional load of win10 running is there any disadvantage this this? is creating a VD on a VD a problem?

Edited by Randall8686

Just saw this thread and I would like to share my previous experience. (I installed it months ago and dont remember all the details, hope it can help)

- Linux VM

- I assigned 1 core (2 threads) to the VM

- Q35-2.11 (Q35-2.9 works too)

- OVMF

- put the synoboot.img to you primary vdisk location, USB Bus

- another disk (either vdisk or actual disk) in 2nd vdisk location, SATA Bus

- go to XML view and edit the network line

<interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='e1000'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>

Please see if the information above help.

• Like 3

Thank you sir, I actually can now find this in the web assistant now although im getting a message of Failed to format the disk.  (35) when trying to install from the PAT file. I cannot change the bus to 02 or the slot to 01 either comes up with an error although i have managed to chang ethe type to e1000

Confused as to why i cannot format the Vdisk tho ?

Thank you sir, I actually can now find this in the web assistant now although im getting a message of Failed to format the disk.  (35) when trying to install from the PAT file. I cannot change the bus to 02 or the slot to 01 either comes up with an error although i have managed to chang ethe type to e1000

Confused as to why i cannot format the Vdisk tho ?

This is my disk config 

<devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/isos/New folder/synoboot.img'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='usb'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/Linux/vdisk2.img'/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
    </disk>

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2018 at 4:21 AM, Randall8686 said:

Finally i have this all working fine, Big thanks to windlok1010 as his tip helped here, DS cam working fine and all apps working great. Nice and fast and such minimal CPU load. Starting to really love Unraid now :D 

Sorry for not getting back to the thread earlier. Good to know you have it working!

On 6/20/2018 at 3:56 PM, Boyturtle said:

Great that you've got it going. I'd like to do the same thing on the unraid server I'm about to build. Is there any chance that you can do a step by step tutorial here to show the way?

Thanks

Yea I can do this, Now i know its fairly easy tbh. I will do a youtube video on Monday on how to do it. Step by Step. then people can always look at the youtube video

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/29/2018 at 7:21 AM, Randall8686 said:

Yea I can do this, Now i know its fairly easy tbh. I will do a youtube video on Monday on how to do it. Step by Step. then people can always look at the youtube video

I second Pearsondk's comment.  I would really love a youtube video to walk us through this :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I was able to get this working. I've put together a quick and dirty "guide" below:

Here is a screenshot of my config:

image.png.7e7c58eb526cc5db7f1085668336b4e0.png

The synoboot.img is downloaded from here: https://mega.nz/#F!BtFQ2DgC!JgomNP3X8V9EuwxL4TXbng!R4VmQbaC  I can't remember which one I used, but I believe it was 1.02b for the ds3617. If you guys have trouble, I can upload the one I'm specifically using.  Unfortunately it's just named synoboot.img, so it's hard to differentiate them.

At this point, I had trouble accessing the webGUI for DSM, so I had to edit the VM XML and insert the following at the bottom:

<interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:23:2d:dc'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='e1000'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x05' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>

I'm a noob when it comes to XML configs, so I have no idea why this worked, but I was just following the advice from earlier in this thread.  I had to change bus='0x05' to bus='0x07' or else it wouldn't let me save the xml edits.

At this point I could access the DSM webGUI and it was waiting for me to set it up.

From here on out, you can probably just follow a normal Xpenology guide.

I manually loaded DSM_DS3615xs_15284.pat to install DSM (https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.1.7/15284/).  It warned me that it would wipe my disks, but obviously it only had the virtual disk that it could access.

That's it :D In the end it was pretty easy.  I have been running this for a couple weeks now with no issues at all.  Much thanks to the people that were helping in this thread earlier.  I would've never been able to get this working without their advice.

• Like 1