Own cloud - which?

Hi,

i installed nextcloud on my unraid server as a docker and on my phone...

But its crap.

I put files in it manual per file browser (because this crap app is not able to syncronise 70gb). But now he doesnt recognize it and wont show up (i mean srsly? Is it 1920????)

Also many errors while transfering, hammering my mobile (just wtf?)

So, i want to change to some other program, which preferable just works... i would liketo have direct access to files via smb. Really cool would be that it transferes everything from handy and remove the files from mobile after X days.

I saw owncloud (is it the same as nextcloud?) and seafile, can someone tell me anything about this apps?

nextcloud is a fork of owncloud.  Iirc most of the owncloud staff moved to start up nextcloud.  Seafile is based in china I think, which might be a concern for some people, but if not it's supposed to be decent, I've not used it myself, but you are probably going to have issues with anything if you are having issues with Nextcloud.  If you want to move files onto nextcloud the easiest way is to manually move them not using a browser or the app, then just commandline in and tell it to scan for files.

1 minute ago, nuhll said:

Is it possible to use that cmd line like every day via user scripts or something?

How u do it? Every time manual?

Lots of things can be done with cron scripts - that's normally how backup solutions are run. So you might configure scripts to run at 03:30 every night to synchronize.

I went a different way. My unRAID shares, that I do want to see and maintain within NextCloud, are mapped as "External Storage" in NextCloud. Whenever I look into a folder/subfolder of  that External Storage its content is populated/updated on the fly. Beside that NextCloud seems to update files from External Storages regulary.

That way you can use your shares as usual with your SMB connection. Never looked back.

I don't use NextClouds WebDav, PHP script, etc. They are a pain, really.

Edited by hawihoney
  • Upvote 1

If you are wanting to sync your phone to unRAID there are better ways to handle that and there numerous apps for the phone too.  I have Android and use SyncMe for photos, videos, documents, etc.  I do use Nextcloud on unRAID, but I mainly use it for family calendar using SolCalendar app on phones (in a Virtualbox VM, not Docker).  I have the Nextcloud app on the phones, but that is just for syncing pictures as they are taken.  The bulk backups are synced using the SyncMe app.  I have a share called Backups and under that a folder for each device.