Chassis: CSE-826A-R1200LPB

-Backplane: BPN-SAS-826A I-Path Direct Attached Backplane

-Bays: 12x3.5" Drive Bays

-Caddies: 12x3.5" caddy

PSU: 740 watt Power Supply PWS-741P-1R Platinum

Motherboard: 1x X9DRi-LN4F+

-Onboard NIC: Integrated Quad Intel 1000BASE-T Ports

-Management: Integrated IPMI 2.0 Management

PCIe: Low Profile 4x16 PCI-E 3.0, 1x8 PCI-E 3.0, 1x4 PCI-E 3.0 (in x8)

CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2630L V1 (low Power) Hex (6) Core 2 GHZ

Memory: 32GB DDR3

Controller: 1x LSI 9211-8i

Any reasons this shouldn't work? I mainly use the server for Plex, Kodi and some file backups. I was thinking about removing one of the CPU's for right now to help with power consumption.

I am currently running a AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 2.80GHz. No problems with the processing but it runs HOT and uses alot of power.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:25 PM, Tward2 said:

I am currently looking at a Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+2U System

Chassis: CSE-826A-R1200LPB

-Backplane: BPN-SAS-826A I-Path Direct Attached Backplane

-Bays: 12x3.5" Drive Bays

-Caddies: 12x3.5" caddy

PSU: 740 watt Power Supply PWS-741P-1R Platinum

Motherboard: 1x X9DRi-LN4F+

-Onboard NIC: Integrated Quad Intel 1000BASE-T Ports

-Management: Integrated IPMI 2.0 Management

PCIe: Low Profile 4x16 PCI-E 3.0, 1x8 PCI-E 3.0, 1x4 PCI-E 3.0 (in x8)

CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2630L V1 (low Power) Hex (6) Core 2 GHZ

Memory: 32GB DDR3

Controller: 1x LSI 9211-8i

Any reasons this shouldn't work? I mainly use the server for Plex, Kodi and some file backups. I was thinking about removing one of the CPU's for right now to help with power consumption.

I am currently running a AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 2.80GHz. No problems with the processing but it runs HOT and uses alot of power.

I have a very similar build but only a 1u server. Don't forget if you remove one of the cpu's you will need to reconfigure the ram slots as half of them will be 'removed'. My build sits idle at about 50 watts ish so not that bad on power consumption

An E5 won't be low power.  You'll see probably 120W idle with that.

On the other hand, my i5-8400 on a Z370 board idles at less than 20W.
The second cpu will bump your power consumption. My dual e5 2670 rig never drops below 100w, but with only one CPU in it, 60w idle is possible. Your CPU should be some better but I can't say how much

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The heat is one of my main concerns I think that was because the drives weren't spinning down. I installed a cache drive yesterday and now all of them are spinning down except the parity and drive 1. How do I figure out what is keeping them spun up?

On 5/4/2018 at 4:17 PM, Tward2 said:

The heat is one of my main concerns I think that was because the drives weren't spinning down. I installed a cache drive yesterday and now all of them are spinning down except the parity and drive 1. How do I figure out what is keeping them spun up?

Turn off all of your dockers to see whether the drives spin down or not, then start the dockers up again one by one to see which is writing to the array and keeping it spun up

On 5/4/2018 at 11:17 AM, Tward2 said:

I installed a cache drive yesterday

Odds on, your docker.img file is stored on disk #1.  Assuming that it's in the system share, and you haven't changed its default configuration of use Cache: prefer, then simply disabling the docker service, (settings - docker), running mover (Main, Array Operations, Move Now), and then re-enabling docker should fix you up.

Thanks, that did it. I disabled the Plex docker and used mover before but I didn't disable the docker service. After I did that and pressed mover they are all spinning down now but the cache disc. What is the brand and size of a SSD cache drive that is recommended?

32 minutes ago, Tward2 said:

Thanks, that did it. I disabled the Plex docker and used mover before but I didn't disable the docker service. After I did that and pressed mover they are all spinning down now but the cache disc. What is the brand and size of a SSD cache drive that is recommended?

The cache drive wont spin down if you have your dockers installed on it no matter what size or brand that it i. However it seems that majority of users use samsung 850 or 860 evo's as they are good for the price and very reliable. I would probably go for a 250gb but it depends on what you want to use it for