System notifications bar

Click on the "here" to enter the settings.  Enable the notifications you need selecting notifation type and frequency but only using browser notifications.  Click apply.  Done.

It's a way to help ensure that users don't miss important notifications from their system, and relatively benign since there's no need to go so far as setting up to send emails for example.

16 minutes ago, thefly said:

@S80_UK I only have browser selected.  Notice will not go away.

Tower_Notifications.jpg

You need to at least get alerts with something other than the browser. The whole point of the warning is to make sure you get notified immediately even if you don't open the webUI. Many users get into trouble because they don't even know they have an issue and they just keep going until they have multiple issues.

15 minutes ago, trurl said:

Do you mean it is OK for the user to get notifications only when they actually open up the webUI? That isn't really going to help with those users who "set it and forget it", which is who we really are concerned about.

I didn't make the rule very strict, simply enabling the notifications gets rid of the warning message, but I agree with you that people should properly set up their notifications system including email or mobile agent notifications.

The thing is, different use cases require different levels of notification.  A server that is powered 24/7 certainly benefits from having the email notifications set up, although it is not always easy to get it right (depending on your ISP and email provider) and that is what I use on my main server.  But emails from my backup server which is generally powered maybe two or three times a month and maybe only for an hour or so are probly not a help to me, since my workflow dictates that the first thing I look at when I power it up is the web UI.  I think not making the rule strict, as it is now, is a resonable way to go.  Only time will tell if that is the best option.

• Upvote 1
  • 9 months later...
17 minutes ago, stormense said:

Easy to get rid off: Use UblockOrigin

Why did you reply to that nearly year old post with that bad advice?

Using adblockers on the Unraid webUI has been known to seriously break it in the past.

And the correct way to get that message to go away is to setup Notifications. As already explained in this thread.

Do you have Notifications setup to alert you immediately by email or other agent when Unraid detects problems? People who don't know when they get a problem are those people who wind up with multiple problems they can't recover from.

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...

I had this issue and it turned out to be that one of my log folders was full and the array didn't start correctly.  I had to clear the log folder out and then I was able to restart the array and remove the message.  It had nothing to do with setting the notifications or any of that horseshit.  Just FYI.

On 11/16/2019 at 8:34 PM, John_M said:

You might want to ask yourself why your log folder was full. Do you have a problem that needs help?

I appreciate the help, but no.  I am good.  It looks like my USB2 port keeps losing connection and then unraid loses all the pathing to the /boot/config (and thus how all the shares are mapped).  I've changed USB ports and that seems to have remedied the issue.