(6.5.1) Intermittent Network Connectivity Issues

I've been working on a new build to upgrade my increasingly elderly server (see the link below if interested). Lots of quirks, things to solve - and I make steady progress, then get another curveball that I have to solve. Except I'm stumped with this one.

TLDR:

• I can set up a trial version (called 'Tower') with UnRaid 6.5.1 (with two disks). Connectivity is fine and I can ping 8.8.8.8 constantly without losing a ping.
  • My 'regular' UnRaid 6.5.1 (called 'Galahad' with it's normal HDDs). Intermittent connectivity - pings to 8.8.8.8 work for about 50 pings, then fail for 50 pings, then start working, then stop, then start working again, then stop working for a bit, then start working again....

I'm stumped. I know there's differences in the network settings of the two versions and I've tinkered with different settings. It seems that the trial version defaulted to using bonding on both interfaces . Eth0 is the 'configured' interface, with Eth1 describing itself as 'not configured'. When I try to replicate the same setting with my 'regular' UnRaid software deployement (Galahad) I change it from Eth0 only (with Eth1 shutdown) to bonding on both interfaces. Only now it tells me that Eth1 is bonded.

Something quirky is going on. It's the same Ethernet cable (I've tried both interfaces on both occasions) and the only hardware differences is the USB stick the software is held on and the HDDs that make up the array. Yet one seems to have perfect network connectivity....but the other one doesn't

Help? Diagnostics for both deployments is attached - and the maddening part is I should be able to solve these networking problems by myself! 

galahad-diagnostics-20180501-1905.zip

tower-diagnostics-20180501-2024.zip

Edited by MrLeek

Since Tower is working happily and is getting its IP address by DHCP, reset Galahad's networking configuration by deleting /boot/config/network.cfg and /boot/network-rules.cfg and rebooting. It will then also get a DHCP-allocated IP address instead of the static one it currently has, which may be conflicting with another host on your network.

^^ this is exactly what I just did - I figured that since Tower used a 'default' network config it seemed like doing the same for Galahad would fix the problem - i.e. clear out the two files you've mentioned. And it did - been pinging 8.8.8.8 for 15-20 mins without a dropped packet. Basically the network config matched that of Tower, right down to the metrics used in the routing table, which was something I was trying to do manually but it just wouldn't configure the exact same way.

Thanks for the response @John_M!

(for anyone finding this after a Google search - do take a backup of your UnRaid USB drive before deleting the two files mentioned. You don't need to, but means you can recover back if you derp and delete more than the files you intended)