Managed Switches

21 hours ago, ken-ji said:

Can you provide more explanation of the Mikrotik products? I know my ignorance when it comes to networking equipment, but I really don't get their product lines - even though I see quite a few good reviews of their equipment.

I was looking at a switch - a CISCO SG300-10PP (10 port gigabit PoE+ - for future cameras I have in mind), but I'm not confident in my ability to set it up correctly (there's a reason people make careers out of Cisco equipment).

How would that compare to (port count & PoE aside) to the Mikrotik equipment?

22 hours ago, CHBMB said:

I read about a security issue with the tp-link managed switches (but I don't know enough to know how it applies) - there was a problem with vlan labels? (tags?) not being honored - and so packets could end up crossing between vlans - or something like that. Does that ring any bells/make any sense?

4 hours ago, Tybio said:

I really like the Cisco small office switches, they are expensive but have almost the same feature set as the enterprise switches, and they are /tanks/:

https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-SG300-10-10-port-Gigabit-SRW2008-K9-NA/dp/B0041ORN6U/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1525268104&sr=1-6&keywords=cisco+switch

I have my eye on a 10PP version (PoE+), that would support some IP cameras I've had my eye on as well - but Cisco is notorious(?) for their OS and complexity. I have a couple of friends who make their living configuring Cisco equipment. I don't want to work that hard on my home network (but I will if that what it takes).

i have various Mikrotik devices(including routers, Access Points, 4G LTE devices), and they all works very well for me. But as far as i know there are no Mikrotik switch(8+ ports) with PoE for all ports to use them with PoE Cameras. and be ware with Mikrotik PoE - they often use non-standard passive PoE with their devices. 

@whipdancer what are camera models you are looking for?

1 hour ago, uldise said:

i have various Mikrotik devices(including routers, Access Points, 4G LTE devices), and they all works very well for me. But as far as i know there are no Mikrotik switch(8+ ports) with PoE for all ports to use them with PoE Cameras. and be ware with Mikrotik PoE - they often use non-standard passive PoE with their devices. 

@whipdancer what are camera models you are looking for?

PoE is currently a bonus. I have access to a Cisco SG300-10PP right now and all it would cost me is a power adapter ($70 give or take from what I've been able to find). My hesitation is being able to actually use and understand it. Is the webUI dumb (easy) enough for me to figure out what I need to do? Cisco is also militant about support, patches and updates requiring a contract. All negatives from a home user perspective. 

Mikrotik was recommended in a couple of articles I've read but they did not elaborate on models.

Re: Camera - Not a specific model. I've been keeping an eye on different camera systems and have come to the conclusion that PoE is preferable. Given that I have no timeframe in mind - I could purchase a dedicated PoE model in the future and just get a managed switch for now.

2 hours ago, whipdancer said:

I have my eye on a 10PP version (PoE+), that would support some IP cameras I've had my eye on as well - but Cisco is notorious(?) for their OS and complexity. I have a couple of friends who make their living configuring Cisco equipment. I don't want to work that hard on my home network (but I will if that what it takes).

These come with a web-ui that isn't horrid.  However they are so feature rich that the UI has a LOT of options, QoS, VLANS, SNMP, 802.1x, bonding...the list goes on and on...so they aren't "Simple" either

Yeah. CISCO has an enterprise mindset for support - so you need to have an active contract to get patches and updates.

For small deployments, a Mikrotik router is cheap and usually sufficient. The ones I specified are 5 port routers with/out wifi.

But a lot of Mikrotik product mindset is for mini ISP/carrier deployments though. I'm deploying them across our residences for the relatively easy site2site VPN linking 

48 minutes ago, Tybio said:

These come with a web-ui that isn't horrid.  However they are so feature rich that the UI has a LOT of options, QoS, VLANS, SNMP, 802.1x, bonding...the list goes on and on...so they aren't "Simple" either

I was not aware of the difference in the smb line. That's good to know.

51 minutes ago, ken-ji said:

Yeah. CISCO has an enterprise mindset for support - so you need to have an active contract to get patches and updates.

For small deployments, a Mikrotik router is cheap and usually sufficient. The ones I specified are 5 port routers with/out wifi.

But a lot of Mikrotik product mindset is for mini ISP/carrier deployments though. I'm deploying them across our residences for the relatively easy site2site VPN linking 

I read something similar today about mikrotik (Mini ISP/carrier), but haven't had a chance to look up what that means.

This is most definitely a small deployment. My home network. Looking to segment (vlan?) my iot devices away from my server, maybe my streaming devices as well.

57 minutes ago, ken-ji said:

I don't think that is the case for the small business switches, at least I have no contract and haven't needed one for upgrades...but then, the software is so well baked that I also don't need to upgrade :)

See for yourself, no login needed to download: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/sg300-10-10-port-gigabit-managed-switch/model.html#~tab-downloads

Edited by Tybio
14 minutes ago, Tybio said:

but then, the software is so well baked that I also don't need to upgrade

Depends on if you care about security advisories or not.

The smarter switches you select, the more important it is to keep track of firmware updates.

2 minutes ago, pwm said:

Depends on if you care about security advisories or not.

The smarter switches you select, the more important it is to keep track of firmware updates.

True enough, mine are not exposed so I tend to just check every now and then.  I believe you can check from the UI even, but anyway, the code is not hidden behind a support contract, anyone can download.

On 5/1/2018 at 2:02 PM, whipdancer said:

Can anyone offer advice on using managed switches in your home? Brands/models?

I use these Ubiquiti switches in my home:

8-port (4 PoE)

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UniFi-Switch-60W-US-8-60W/dp/B01MU3WUX1

16-port: with PoE

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-US-16-150W-UniFi-Switch/dp/B01E46ATQ0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1525300998&sr=1-1&keywords=ubiquiti+16-port+150w+poe

Ubiquiti has two main product lines; Unifi and Edge.  I use the UniFi, other prefer the Edge line.

All the switches mentioned here by others are good; just throwing out another option.

Edited by Hoopster

Hard to beat the used Dell market for home switches, but they can be loud. I ran one with fans unplugged for 5+ years, never died, just upgraded to POE.

24port $52
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerConnect-5424-24-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Switch-4SFP-M023F/372102804664?epid=1808131533&hash=item56a30e34b8:g:WFUAAOSw1JVZ5j6Z

24port+POE+10G $150
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-PowerConnect-5524P-POE-24-port-Gigabit-Managed-Layer-3-Switch-2-SFP-ports/152999060231?epid=1430486060&hash=item239f746307:g:xFMAAOSwdIBa4lRQ

I'm pretty happy with my HP 1920-24G.  I got mine off eBay about 5-6 years ago, sold as used, but the box was factory sealed.  Low power consumption, no fans, and useable web management.  

It's 24-port with 4 SPF ports (not shared).  It would be nice if it had POE, but not a deal breaker for me, I use a cheap dumb TPLink 8-port for POE.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice, sounds like you got it figured out.  I will leave this here for anyone else that comes across the thread.

The Ubiquiti gear is a little more expensive, but it's far better than the consumer grade stuff and MUCH cheaper than enterprise level.  I have a storage room full of Cisco and HP hardware that I've used in the past, which worked great, but I've converted everything over to Ubiquiti.  Much easier to manage.  The features you get for the money make it a good value IMO, but it's all about what YOU value and what you are trying to do. 

I have a site to site VPN to a family member, 3 VLAN's, a bunch of AP's (one AP that is running in mesh), and a site to site VPN to Azure.  All relatively easy to set up.  I will add that you get live chat with techs that will log in remotely to help you with configuration/troubleshooting, and it doesn't require a support contract.

The in-wall AP's are the coolest thing since sliced bread.  Great coverage, they look good, and very versatile.  I've replaced 2 of the UAP-AC-PRO's with a few IW-AP's.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Bringing back the thread....

any trusted switch with the folllowing 

8 port at least

Managed vlans qos 

poe ports 

1 or 2 sfp+ ports

silent no fan

the plan is 

unraid goes in with 10gbe sfp 

vm pfsense goes in with gigabit Ethernet

rest of network gigabit connected 

all of them for internal routing and propably  gigabit fiber internet. 

I’m all ears...

Edited by kolofotias