SAS Drive 520 sector size

Apr 27 18:31:50 Tower kernel: sd 5:0:1:0: [sdc] Unsupported sector size 520.
Apr 27 18:31:50 Tower kernel: sd 5:0:1:0: [sdc] 0 512-byte logical blocks: (0 B/0 B)
Apr 27 18:31:50 Tower kernel: sd 5:0:1:0: [sdc] 520-byte physical blocks
Apr 27 18:31:50 Tower kernel: sd 5:0:1:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
Apr 27 18:31:50 Tower kernel: sd 5:0:1:0: [sdc] Mode Sense: cf 00 10 08
Apr 27 18:31:50 Tower kernel: sd 5:0:1:0: [sdc] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, supports DPO and FUA
Apr 27 18:31:50 Tower kernel: sd 5:0:1:0: [sdc] Unsupported sector size 520.
Apr 27 18:31:50 Tower kernel: sd 5:0:1:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI disk
Apr 27 18:33:25 Tower emhttpd: device /dev/sdc has size zero

Hi , fitted a new drive and im getting the above issues , i cant format the drive at all or do anything with it.

I have a Dell T410 with the Perc 5 controller.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

10 hours ago, StuartF said:

Any help would be appreciated , i'm sure its  a parameter missing or something i'm not doing correctly?

I recently did this with an ubuntu live cd using the setblocksize program.  As I'm not sure about the rules of posting external links, google for unsupported-sector-size-520.html

Edited by themaxxz
On 5/10/2018 at 11:02 PM, themaxxz said:

I recently did this with an ubuntu live cd using the setblocksize program.  As I'm not sure about the rules of posting external links, google for unsupported-sector-size-520.html

Thanks , i dont seem to be able to find the compiled version or the app?

• 5 months later...
On 10/31/2018 at 6:03 PM, SundarNET said:

Reformat a SAS HDD to different block sizes mainly 512 to use in UNRAID

This took me a few hours to find and work out but was so much needed

OK so I have just now done this for myself by installing sg3_utils onto my UNRAID OS using installpkg

all using terminal

1. download the package into a tmp dir # wget http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware64-14.1/slackware64/l/sg3_utils-1.36-x86_64-1.txz

2. run this from that tmp dir after the download to install sg3_utils # upgradepkg --install-new sg3_utils-1.36-x86_64-1.txz

3. use this command to show SAS HDD's # sg_scan -i

4. this command to format 'obviously /dev/XXX should be the HDD u wish to format MAKE SURE ITS THE RIGHT ONE! # sg_format --format --size=512 -v /dev/XXX

this has been allowing me to reformat the block size and use previously non usable drives saving buttonnes of money

WARNING this format will destroy a HDD if interrupted during this process if you can a UPS is recommended 

have a great day I love UNRAID!

Just to confirm the install process works I just did 1. and 2. on my main UNRAID machine and it installed perfectly and sg_scan -i showed the list of drives, I had no need to format so will be doing that a bit later

Edited by SundarNET
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, StuartF said:

Thankyou this has worked apart from the fact the drive i have is 4tb and its been formatted to 3tb?

hmm not nice you will have to do some google searches to find out this issue Ill have a hunt when not busy, I assume it is something to do with a simple command that needs changing

ok it seems 'I may be wrong, always add as much information as possible' that you may have formatted a normal drive from 4096b sectors to 512b format it back to 4096b block size 

this tool is for SAS drives mostly and non SAS drives NEED to be 4096byte block size to have their drive size correct

once again without all the information I can only speculate that this is your issue

7 hours ago, SundarNET said:

ok it seems 'I may be wrong, always add as much information as possible' that you may have formatted a normal drive from 4096b sectors to 512b format it back to 4096b block size 

this tool is for SAS drives mostly and non SAS drives NEED to be 4096byte block size to have their drive size correct

once again without all the information I can only speculate that this is your issue

HGST HW 0F22941 Hgst Ultrastar Hus726040als210 SAS is the drive i have , i will check teh byte size later , i only have the machine running unraid so cant check in windows.

yeah I've been checking and I'm pretty sure I'm completely wrong and you should always google search your issue to get other options.

regarding drives and formatting,

i think most drives, SAS or not - need a logical byte sector of 512 then a physical of 4k, and over 2TB needs to be GPT partition map to see all the drive 'for windows' most other systems will format accordingly and I assume UNRAID is the same, let it do its own default format it should make it right and see the full size of the drive,

another possibility... assuming your are fresh with UNRAID like me, is your parity drive bigger or the same size as this 4TB as that is the first possible issue that your parity drive is only 3TB? please give more info always to assist proper diagnosis

On 5/4/2018 at 8:33 PM, johnnie.black said:

You can easily add it to unRAID, create a folder called extra on your flash drive, copy sg3_utils there, reboot and presto.

I like just found this and yes i love it 

to elaborate 

in terminal 

cd /boot

mkdir extra

cd extra

wget " paste the sg3_utils download link here they change it a lot " "google search sg3_utils slackware"

reboot

there's your presto ;)

• 1 year later...

I'm having some problem trying to convert HP SAS drive from 520 to 512 block size using sg_format, Make:HP Model:HMRP4000S

can anyone see where I'm going wrong?

root@Tower:~# sg_format -v --fmtpinfo=0 --format --size=512 /dev/sg3
    HGST      HMRP4000S5xnN7.2  3P00   peripheral_type: disk [0x0]
      PROTECT=1
      << supports protection information>>
      Unit serial number:         PBHR336X
      LU name: 5000cca03b608d44
    mode sense (10) cdb: 5a 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 fc 00 
Mode Sense (block descriptor) data, prior to changes:
Mode sense number of blocks maxed out, set longlba
    mode sense (10) cdb: 5a 10 01 00 00 00 00 00 fc 00 
Mode Sense (block descriptor) data, prior to changes: