First Time unRAID User

ugp

Built my first unRAID system the other week using some retired parts. Wanted to stop bye and say hello to the Community.

5820K (Clocked at 4.5) with 32GB of RAM.

Storage:

Parity One: IronWolf 8TB

Parity Two: IronWolf 8TB

Drive One: IronWolf 8TB

Drive Two: IronWolf 4TB

Drive Three: IronWolf 4TB

Drive Four: IronWolf 4TB

Drive Five: HGST Deskstar 4TB

Drive Six: IronWolf 2TB

Total usable 26TB.

Cache One: Crucial MX500 500GB

Cache Two: Crucial MX500 500GB

For VMs and Plex Library a Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500GB

Purchased a Fractal Whiteout Edition R6 and I love this case for this build. But man is this thing heavy once all the drives are populated inside.

For what ever reason it was tough to find really short SATA Cables. And after I set it all up I realized I labeled the 5th and 6th drives wrong. It is going to bug me until I fix it.

I am enjoying the system so far and it's working wonderfully. Put a Dual Intel NIC in as well to play around with pfSense in a VM and see how I like it.

Inside.jpg

Outside1.jpg

Outside2.jpg

42 minutes ago, ugp said:

If GPUs ever come down I may get a 1070Ti or something and throw it in there for the VM for the kids. RAM alone killed me on my main PC upgrade.

Consumer's haven't seen it yet (demand from gpu-miners is starting to wain, in anticipation for new ASIC's said to be coming soon), but the prices on video cards are starting to come down, maybe another two-three months and it will start getting reasonable again. The flip side of the coin is that next-gen of gpu's will probably be incoming in roughly six-eight months (think Q3/Q4).  That's the rumor mill and supplier documentations I've seen and heard - for what it is worth.

2 minutes ago, Jcloud said:

Consumer's haven't seen it yet (demand from gpu-miners is starting to wain, in anticipation for new ASIC's said to be coming soon), but the prices on video cards are starting to come down, maybe another two-three months and it will start getting reasonable again. The flip side of the coin is that next-gen of gpu's will probably be incoming in roughly six-eight months (think Q3/Q4).  That's the rumor mill and supplier documentations I've seen and heard - for what it is worth.

Yeah I've seen that. I try and stay up to date as much as possible. I personally use a 1080Ti in my build and I am glad I bought mine before the prices went crazy. AS for my kids a 1070 or 1070Ti would be more than enough to last awhile. Seen the Tis for like $510 currently. I just prefer to go with EVGA for my GPUs. But I do want to play around with GPU Pass-thru and what not.

Just now, ugp said:

I just prefer to go with EVGA for my GPUs. But I do want to play around with GPU Pass-thru and what not.

I perfer the EVGA GPU's too, and that's what I sell at the shop I work at; their RMA process is painless too, had to do that once. I too like your build, looks nice. Keep an eye on that water pump. ;) 

3 hours ago, Connor Moloney said:

Nice build, wish I had those kind of 'retired' parts ;)

The 5820K, MB, and RAM, and the last two disks were the only retired parts.

The IronWolf drives, SSDs, and Case I bought for this build. Drives added up quickly. I knew I wanted double Parity and I didn't want to go less than 8TB on those so I can easily upgrade the 4TBs later.

10 minutes ago, ugp said:

The 5820K, MB, and RAM, and the last two disks were the only retired parts.

The IronWolf drives, SSDs, and Case I bought for this build. Drives added up quickly. I knew I wanted double Parity and I didn't want to go less than 8TB on those so I can easily upgrade the 4TBs later.

Oh okay, that makes more sense. Well best of luck for the build sounds like it will be awesome