Multiple cache drives vs one cache drive

I'm mildly curious about this. 

I just built a new box to give Plex some more juice. The previous box was using 6 small SSDs for the cache along with a Marvel controller. But I wanted to streamline the new box, so I went with a WD M.2 Blue 2TB SSD. I assume this might be slightly slower, but I'm still happy to get some drive space back and get rid of some extra sata cables.

14 minutes ago, mrbilky said:

If I understand it correctly a cache pool will protect data when configured for that where a single cache drive's data is vulnerable until the mover is invoked, correct me if I'm wrong on that

Thanks mrbilky. I was actually wondering about the performance rather than the data integrity. I realize there are a number of factors involved, like the speed of the SSDs, sata card, bus speed and the # of concurrent writes. But the LAN is likely the limiting factor, except for when the Mover runs. Although when I ran the Mover to switch Cache drives, it only wrote to one drive at a time, so it does not seem to be multi-threaded. I assume the parity checks are the limiting factor here.

This is not keeping me up at night BTW, the biggest benefit for me is cleaning up the box; saving power, giving me more room for spinning disks and getting rid of 8 more cables. I am in the UCD forum afterall. ?

45 minutes ago, Slimer said:

Thanks mrbilky. I was actually wondering about the performance rather than the data integrity. I realize there are a number of factors involved, like the speed of the SSDs, sata card, bus speed and the # of concurrent writes. But the LAN is likely the limiting factor, except for when the Mover runs. Although when I ran the Mover to switch Cache drives, it only wrote to one drive at a time, so it does not seem to be multi-threaded. I assume the parity checks are the limiting factor here.

This is not keeping me up at night BTW, the biggest benefit for me is cleaning up the box; saving power, giving me more room for spinning disks and getting rid of 8 more cables. I am in the UCD forum afterall. ?

I see, theres lots of variables to account for I would just run some benchmarks and see what performs better with your current configuration the disk speed app from jbartlett may shed some light for you