Adding larger parity disk?

My N40L is running all 4TB WD Reds and looking to swap the parity to 6TB WD Red and one array drive as I have no more bays available.

Can I just confirm the steps to replace the drives. Should the parity be done first then followed by the disk in array?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, bally12345 said:

Are WD Reds still the hard drive of choice or iron wolf?

It's a matter of personal choice. Compare the specs, in some respects IronWolfs are superior. An uncorrectable error rate that's ten times better is a compelling virtue.

On 5/5/2018 at 9:42 AM, bally12345 said:

Will be sticking with the WD Reds but at £167.99 each I really wish I had another spare bay instead of taking out the perfectly functioning 4tb drive.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Keep hold of it, you may be able to find a use for it in a different build or something. You could also sell it on the forums here to make some money back on it towards the new drive

Hang onto it as a spare drive.   That way, you can can use it as a replacement if you have a data drive fail.  (I have spare 3TB drive that is ready to go if any of my drives should fail. Long term strategy will be to make the next drive purchase a 6TB drive to allow for an ordering expansion of server capacity.) 

So consider using the case (and perhaps, the PS).  I took a very quick look at that MB and the last BIOS update was 2008.  I would suspect that the MB from the n40L would fit in the case.  (Usually, it is extra large boards in the smaller cases that give problems.)  Most of the cases have so many drilled-and-tapped mounting holes that virtually any MB will fit.  However, I would also seriously consider looking for some sort of hot-plug drive mounting arrangement as when the number of drives rises so do problems with unseating SATA connectors when HD's require replacement.