Seasonic PSU 6 Pin to SATA Cables & Seasonic PSU Calculator

I am currently working on my first unRAID home server build.  My power supply is the Seasonic Focus Plus Series SSR-650FX 80+ Gold, which only comes with three SATA power cables for a total of eight drives.  I searched Newegg and Amazon for more SATA power cables, without luck.  Then I reached out to Seasonic support who directed me to Build To Order Servers, Inc.

Build To Order Servers, Inc. offers Seasonic modular cables at fair prices.  Each of their 6 pin to SATA cables is $5, as of this posting.  So, I called them.  I didn't get a messaging service, call center, etc.  I got a real, live person who took the time to look up my specific PSU and directed me to exactly the location on their website of the cable options they have.  Very helpful and not in a hurry to get me off the phone.

Additionally, I have been using the Seasonic wattage calculator.  It is similar to the Cooler Master calculator.  There are a bunch of others.  Some members may already be aware of this resource.  It was helpful to me, so I'm sharing.

I like how this calculator gives a Seasonic PSU recommendation.  In my case, I maxed out the drives, etc.  It gave me a load wattage of 283W and a recommended wattage of 333W.  Then I doubled it because the efficiency curve for PSU's is at 50%.

Edited by _0m0t3ur
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Tybio said:

This is great info!  Thanks a lot for posting, I've been working around a lack of 6-pins for a while...much better to get the right ones than do adapters and splitters!

Your welcome!  I was a little dismayed when I opened my PSU to find two SATA power cables.  Getting these for $5 each takes the sting out.

• 1 year later...