Need help with NVIDIA driver config

Thanks to the help received from user 1812, I got my new GT-710 to successfully pass video through to a guest VM running EL7.   After I declared premature victory on this, I realized that what I really want is to make the video passthrough work while running the proprietary NVIDIA driver on the guest VM (Initially, it was the default Nouveau? driver I think).   The reason I want the NVIDIA driver is for VDPAU decoding of HD encoded content on the guest VM, but I digress.  

So, I set about getting the NVIDIA driver installed on the guest VM, which succeeded.  I've done this plenty of times on physical machines, but never on a VM.  Anyway, when I boot the VM using VNC, the desktop launches correctly and, according to the logs (Xorg.0.log), the NVIDIA driver was loaded and working.  Schwing.

Problem is, if I boot the VM with passthrough of the GT-710 instead of VNC (with the same NVIDIA driver configuration in effect), the desktop never launches.  I forced a recreate of the xorg.conf file using nvidia-xconfig (oddly, VNC launches successfully with no xorg.conf in place), but that still didn't work.  All I get is a garbled screen on a Samsung 32" LCD TV.  Log files and config files attached.  

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.  I will point out that I am not doing anything with ROM passthrough, and I'm not really sure this is required, or if this is just a performance optimization for gaming, etc.  I have 2 video cards on the host machine:  the onboard for unraid itself and the GT-710 for the guest VM.

Larry

Additional pertinent info:

uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 3.10.0-693.21.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Mar 7 19:03:37 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[root@localhost ~]#

rpm -qa | grep nvidia
nvidia-graphics-devices-1.0-6.el7.noarch
nvidia-graphics-helpers-0.0.30-33.el7.x86_64
nvidia-graphics-long-lived-390.48-150.el7.centos.x86_64
nvidia-graphics390.48-libs-390.48-4.el7.centos.x86_64
nvidia-graphics390.48-390.48-4.el7.centos.x86_64
nvidia-detect-390.48-2.el7.elrepo.x86_64
nvidia-graphics390.48-kmdl-3.10.0-693.21.1.el7-390.48-4.el7.centos.x86_64

nvidia-settings -v

nvidia-settings:  version 390.48  (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-07)  Thu Mar 22 01:06:23 PDT 2018
  The NVIDIA X Server Settings tool.

This program is used to configure the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver.
  For more detail, please see the nvidia-settings(1) man page.

Xorg.0.log

xorg.conf.txt

Edited by kennelm
typo