To AMD EPYC or not

Hi, I'm considering building a new server. Thinking of going Intel again because AMD is a headache that I can't be bothered dealing with atm as I have 2 kids and a busy life. 

I can't find any solid information online.

Does anyone know if hardware passthrough works on EPYC, like you would expect it to for a server platform or is it like threadripper.

I wouldn't mind building a EPYC system but not if it going to be 6 months of tinkering and never getting to use it. Like my ryzen system that got thrown in the shed for 3 months.

Has anyone Got a EPYC system up and running yet?

I haven't seen anyone running one that's posting, EPYC is only available from custom builders I believe, they don't sell the chip alone last I saw...but I haven't been paying much attention.

I guess I'm wrong!  Who knew :).  Though it looks like they don't score as well as the TRs...not sure what's up with that.

Edited by Tybio

1 hour ago, Tybio said:

Though it looks like they don't score as well as the TRs...not sure what's up with that.

The epyc cpus I’ve seen are high core low freq, coupled with ecc which runs at stock speeds I’m not surprised it gets dusted by TR.

For what it’s worth, my TR  setup has been flawless... I just timed my purchase after the major issues had been resolved.

• Like 1

The epyc cpus I’ve seen are high core low freq, coupled with ecc which runs at stock speeds I’m not surprised it gets dusted by TR.

For what it’s worth, my TR  setup has been flawless... I just timed my purchase after the major issues had been resolved.
Same here. Got my 1920X on March. Almost felt like plug and play getting two VMs up with gpu and sound card passthrough. Loving it

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

What motherboards are you guys using?

ASRock x399 taichi

RAM is that trident z RGB made for threadripper (can’t remember the name ) Wish they had made a non rgb one as my case is fully closed. I can confirm this ram is able to get to 3200 with the flick of the XMP switch

Thought you should know that as Zen is RAM sensitive in both enabling XMP and its own performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, ars92 said:

RAM is that trident z RGB made for threadripper 

Nice! That's exactly what I'm looking at, any chance you've messed with the LED control in the BIOS?  I know you can set the MB LEDs to colors there, but does the RAM respect that setting?

Nice! That's exactly what I'm looking at, any chance you've messed with the LED control in the BIOS?  I know you can set the MB LEDs to colors there, but does the RAM respect that setting?
Unfortunately no as it wasn't really a requirement for me. Although i was thinking of trying to see if i could make it change to white breathing effect as i have a black and white build...

But i wont be rebooting anytime soon so wont be able to check sorry.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/14/2018 at 5:08 AM, ars92 said:

ASRock x399 taichi

RAM is that trident z RGB made for threadripper (can’t remember the name ) Wish they had made a non rgb one as my case is fully closed. I can confirm this ram is able to get to 3200 with the flick of the XMP switch

Thought you should know that as Zen is RAM sensitive in both enabling XMP and its own performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does 8 x 8GB flare 3200 works at 3200 for you? 4 x 8GB worked for me. I have to change to 3000 for 8 x 8GB to be able to boot into unraid.

• 2 months later...
On 9/28/2019 at 10:06 PM, Harrywong said:

Does 8 x 8GB flare 3200 works at 3200 for you? 4 x 8GB worked for me. I have to change to 3000 for 8 x 8GB to be able to boot into unraid.

Sorry I didn't notice this reply. I am not using flare and am not using 8 sticks yet as of now. Only 4 trident z sticks and all four ran at 3200 instantly after enabling xmp