Keyboard issue in VMs after upgrade to 6.5.1

Upgraded from 6.4.0 to 6.5.1 and noticed that in the terminal and desktop in my VM (and also a test VM) that I couldn't type a pipe symbol (all I would get was a < symbol) while at the same time I couldn't type a > symbol using the keys for it (was just a < symbol for both keys but the comma and period worked fine).  I tried changing the keyboard in the Preferences, also did a re set-up on the keyboard via GUI and CLI, but nothing worked.  Using an Ubuntu forum post, I ran: xmodmap -e 'keycode 94 = backslash bar'.  That got the pipe back but the < > keys still didn't work (but comma and period still worked fine).  I then downgraded back to 6.4.0 and everything works with no issues.  Any ideas?  

Edited by jcouch93
Clarified just a VM issue
2 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Are you using any region or language settings for anything (Docker, VM, etc.) other than  "US English"?

No.  I thought that might be the issue so I reset everything back to "US English" just to make sure but still had the issue.  Thanks!

1 minute ago, Frank1940 said:

Where exactly did you reset everything back to "US English"?    (I can't seem to find anyplace to be able to do that...  ?    )  

For the VM settings, I set VNC-Keyboard to English-United States (en-us)

In the VM itself, using Linux Mint 18.3 as the Guest, I go to Menu -> Preferences -> Keyboard -> Layouts and make sure only "English (US)" is there and hit "Reset to Defaults".  I also changed the Keyboard model to Generic 101-key PC.

• 2 weeks later...