Preclear temperatures

Slimer

I am pre-clearing 3 new WD Red Pro 8TB drives. One of the 3 drives never got off the launch pad and a 2nd one failed the temperature check at some point. The drive is back in range now, but it is still running 4 degrees celsius higher than the good drive. So one drive is running at 41 degrees and the other drive is now at 45 degrees.

What temps are you seeing when running pre-clear on the WD Red Pro 8 TB.

Red Pro is a 7200rpm drive, so I'd expect 50C or thereabouts, depending on the cooling in your case.

I run a 8TB WD Gold (basically the same mechanism) and it's never gone over 48C doing a parity build, and that's in a Fractal R5 case with two 140mm fans running at 4-600rpm blowing across the drives.  I mean the fan cooling is really minimal, mostly to keep noise to a bare minimum.

Thanks guys,

The drive maxed out at 47C, but it never did finish the preclear. It dropped off the world at some point. It now fails the short SMART test. So two out of three new WD Red Pro drives failed. I can only assume the box got some rough treatment during its trip here.

That is why I do NOT order OEM drives from Newegg any more.  Retail yes but not OEM.  SuperBiiz had always done a good job of packaging drives for me and I just saw they are carrying the 8TB  WD Red pro and non-pro drives again.  Too bad I already got the 6 I just purchased from Amazon.  I would have preferred SuperBiiz but the last time I was looking they had stopped carrying them for some reason.  Amazon still has problems with the overall box packaging but the OEM drives are individually packaged in Retail like boxes so they came out OK.  But I didn't like the packaging around the drives at all.  Just like Newegg - Amazon had too big a box for the contents with little packing material around it.  Only thing that saved the drives was Amazon's internal Retail like packaging. 

24 minutes ago, BobPhoenix said:

That is why I do NOT order OEM drives from Newegg any more.  Retail yes but not OEM.  SuperBiiz had always done a good job of packaging drives for me and I just saw they are carrying the 8TB  WD Red pro and non-pro drives again.  Too bad I already got the 6 I just purchased from Amazon.  I would have preferred SuperBiiz but the last time I was looking they had stopped carrying them for some reason.  Amazon still has problems with the overall box packaging but the OEM drives are individually packaged in Retail like boxes so they came out OK.  But I didn't like the packaging around the drives at all.  Just like Newegg - Amazon had too big a box for the contents with little packing material around it.  Only thing that saved the drives was Amazon's internal Retail like packaging. 

Yeah, they did not seem to be too badly packed; I've seen worse. They were in those little bubble sleeves in three individual boxes, with a spacer filling the forth spot in a larger box.  I can only assume it got tossed onto the porch, I did not see it get delivered. I remember when drives used to come packed in foam.

It looks like I have to pay for shipping these back to Newegg and they don't issue the new drives until they receive these. I should just ask for a refund and order the replacements from Amazon. They also ask that I package them properly to prevent damage. LOL.

2 minutes ago, Slimer said:

Yeah, they did not seem to be too badly packed; I've seen worse. They were in those little bubble sleeves in three individual boxes, with a spacer filling the forth spot in a larger box.  I can only assume it got tossed onto the porch, I did not see it get delivered. I remember when drives used to come packed in foam.

It looks like I have to pay for shipping these back to Newegg and they don't issue the new drives until they receive these. I should just ask for a refund and order the replacements from Amazon. They also ask that I package them properly to prevent damage. LOL.

I'm paying for their (Newegg's) premiere membership which has free return shipping.  That use to pay for itself when I was ordering drives from them before I found other sources.  I still have it but it isn't worth as much to me these days since drives are usually the only thing I have to return.  But it does get me cheaper and/or faster shipping so I still keep it. 

20 minutes ago, BobPhoenix said:

I'm paying for their (Newegg's) premiere membership which has free return shipping.  That use to pay for itself when I was ordering drives from them before I found other sources.  I still have it but it isn't worth as much to me these days since drives are usually the only thing I have to return.  But it does get me cheaper and/or faster shipping so I still keep it. 

Yeah my Premiere expired a while back. Anyway they issued me a return shipping label and changed my RMA to a refund, so I can order replacements. Also paid for express shipping on the replacements. Now hopefully they arrive alive. ?

OK, the replacements arrived. The first one just finished Pre-clearing and the 2nd one is lagging behind. It always surprises me how much the Pre-clear times vary for identical drives on the same card and PC activity. I've seen a few of the threads about this and the basic conclusion seems to be don't worry, be happy.

I still think these drives vibrate a lot, I guess it's the higher RPM.

5 hours ago, Slimer said:

OK, the replacements arrived. The first one just finished Pre-clearing and the 2nd one is lagging behind. It always surprises me how much the Pre-clear times vary for identical drives on the same card and PC activity. I've seen a few of the threads about this and the basic conclusion seems to be don't worry, be happy.

I still think these drives vibrate a lot, I guess it's the higher RPM.

I spoke too soon. The second drive has started throwing out SMART errors. That means 3 out of 5 drives brand new drives have failed.

I originally sent WD an email about the two out of three original drives that failed and got back some sarcastic corporate H.S. expressing their concern. Do they not realize the representational risk this poses to their company. I think I'll just refund this drive until they figure their sh*t out.