32GB cache SSD almost full and file transfers stalling

Hello everyone :)

I'm facing two issues with my unRAID cache SSD. It's a 32GB SSD I had bought to use as a cache-drive with Intel's SRT (or RST, I always mix them up) for my 2TB drive in my Windows computer.

But now I'm trying to use it as a cache drive for my unRAID drive array and for some reason :

1. it's already almost full at launch, before writing anything to the array :
    image.thumb.png.ba80cc7348bbb32d167d18659f71baa9.png

2. Say I'd like to write large files to my array from my other computer. It will start writing at good speeds (thanks to the SSD) until it is full and the copying will simply stall, instead of going slowly at regular HDD write speeds.

Any clue why it's acting like this?

Edited by CiaoCiao
34 minutes ago, CiaoCiao said:

it's already almost full at launch, before writing anything to the array :

Most likely the docker image.

34 minutes ago, CiaoCiao said:

Say I'd like to write large files to my array from my other computer. It will start writing at good speeds (thanks to the SSD) until it is full and the copying will simply stall, instead of going slowly at regular HDD write speeds.

Set an appropriate (twice the large file you'll be copying) minimum free space for that share (share settings)

2 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Most likely the docker image.

Set an appropriate (twice the large file you'll be copying) minimum free space for that share (share settings)

You are right! :D 

Apparently it's the Docker image that's filling all this space. How can I get it out of that disk? None of my Docker containers require fast storage and I'd rather have these 32 GB of cache than a super-fast loading drive monitoring Docker container ?

I'll try to set my user shares properly then! Thank you! :) 

• 1 month later...

I might be doing this wrong but... I don't seem to be able to free the space from the  cache drive. Here are the steps I went through :

1. I stopped my Docker apps (I only have 3).
  2. I went to the settings ==> Docker ==> disabled Docker.
  3. Deleted the Docker Image
  4. Tried to invoque the Mover
  5. image.png.dfbfe1247bf37e63306d5da368cbc3d2.png

Okay but I dont understand why when I create a new docker image it goes to the cache disk since I have set the app data to go to the appdata for which I have disabled the cache.

Is it related to this path?

image.thumb.png.a6cbdc223de3d922ee85b3bd0093683e.png

If so, where should it be?

Edited by CiaoCiao