LSI 16i Cards

If you are talking about the 9201-16i they are IT mode only cards so they are plug and play with unRAID.  I have many I replaced most of my 8i with them because I can use fewer slots for HBAs allowing me to use other PCIe cards.  I just plugged them in connected the drives/backplanes to them and booted unRAID and had a working system.

24 minutes ago, BobPhoenix said:

If you are talking about the 9201-16i they are IT mode only cards so they are plug and play with unRAID.  I have many I replaced most of my 8i with them because I can use fewer slots for HBAs allowing me to use other PCIe cards.  I just plugged them in connected the drives/backplanes to them and booted unRAID and had a working system.

Hey,

Thnx a lot for the informative response. Which particular controller did you purchase? Can you provide a link?

Thnx

6 hours ago, Mat1926 said:

Hey,

Thnx a lot for the informative response. Which particular controller did you purchase? Can you provide a link?

Thnx

I got a used server pull from eBay.  The last purchase was from this seller not that there was anything wrong with the other sellers that I purchased  my other 9201-16i's from: https://www.ebay.com/sch/svcheck2/m.html?ssPageName=&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2654

I would NOT buy a new one from China off of eBay even if they were cheaper that the server pulls.  Too many reports of counterfeit cards going that way for me from both the 8i and 16i card varieties.

You might also consider the 16e (the external type) as they are usually MUCH cheaper.  But then you have to route cables back inside the case and it takes a different connector to the card.  That is why I went with the internal - easier to use but more expensive variety.  Another possibility for more money yet is a newer version that uses a 23xx+ chipset verses the 2116 of the 9201-16i.  @johnnie.black might be able to give you an exact model number - I don't own any of those.

9 hours ago, BobPhoenix said:

Another possibility for more money yet is a newer version that uses a 23xx+ chipset verses the 2116 of the 9201-16i.  @johnnie.black might be able to give you an exact model number - I don't own any of those.

I don't know of any 16i based on the SAS2308 chipset, there is a 16e, the 9206-16e, there are SAS3008 based 16i HBAs, but these are SAS3 so more expensive.

2 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

I don't know of any 16i based on the SAS2308 chipset, there is a 16e, the 9206-16e, there are SAS3008 based 16i HBAs, but these are SAS3 so more expensive.

Are you aware of any downsides of connecting 16 HDDs to a single card compared to 8 only?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...