I purchased a Pro version can I run on two machines?

I purchased a pro version of unraid but what I would like to do is have one instance as a test rack and one as production.  Do I really have to buy two instances since the GUID is stuck to a USB or can I can clone that GUID from one USB to another?

Don't think I'm doing anything wrong here as I did pay in full.. But I'm sure I will be corrected if I am.

And let's be honest.. the cost of a pro license is fairly small, even for a home/lab environment. I bought my license almost 3 years ago and have been able to enjoy upgrades and a functioning system without any additional licensing costs, in spite of changing the disks and compute hardware numerous times.

• 3 years later...

Hi, I just bought unraid pro and had the same question. With a few more questions. Sorry but super new at all this. Ok, lets say I use the USB key on one test system to play around with stuff for my job. Can I then delete the physical server from my USB key and set up a new one on my physical server at home? Not going back and forward but once I am done testing i can delete the whole test setup and move everything to new hardware and run it.

Also what if i lose my USB key or it breaks, Can I copy my license to a new USB key? 

5 minutes ago, reekon said:

once I am done testing i can delete the whole test setup and move everything to new hardware and run it.

Yes 

5 minutes ago, reekon said:

what if i lose my USB key or it breaks, Can I copy my license to a new USB key?

You must always keep a current backup of flash. If you need to replace, the license can be transferred 

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Changing_The_Flash_Device

• Like 1
On 5/12/2018 at 11:31 AM, thaddeussmith said:

And let's be honest.. the cost of a pro license is fairly small, even for a home/lab environment. I bought my license almost 3 years ago and have been able to enjoy upgrades and a functioning system without any additional licensing costs, in spite of changing the disks and compute hardware numerous times.

Obligatory, "the Pro license is cheaper than even a single hard drive. In fact, the unRAID license is the cheapest thing in my servers."

Edited by StevenD
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, reekon said:

Hi, I just bought unraid pro and had the same question. With a few more questions. Sorry but super new at all this. Ok, lets say I use the USB key on one test system to play around with stuff for my job. Can I then delete the physical server from my USB key and set up a new one on my physical server at home? Not going back and forward but once I am done testing i can delete the whole test setup and move everything to new hardware and run it.

Also what if i lose my USB key or it breaks, Can I copy my license to a new USB key? 

The licence travels with the USB key and is not specific to a machine so in that sense you can transfer the licence to any machine as long as it is being booted off the licenced USB stick.   All settings are in the config folder on the flash drive so setting that back to defaults (making sure you first make a copy of your licence key from that folder) sets things back to s virgin state.

1 hour ago, reekon said:

The license is tied to the GUID of the flash drive; however it can be transferred to a new flash drive/GUID if the old one fails.  This can be done either via the GUI or by contacting Limetech depending on the circumstances.  The original GUID will be blacklisted.