Forum slow?

Yea, as this forum starts to grow, it gets slower, @limetech could try to install and use google pagespeed and or a reverse proxy for static content, if they didnt have already.

Easiest would be cloudflare, which also cache some things. (and free CDN)

Now its not that bad, but it will get worser and worser.

https://www.webpagetest.org/result/180518_Z1_c40091767dbc768f66ccb3bbcfb7ed52/

Its probably because of that "bad" first time byte, could be speed up by CDN, i guess.

Edited by nuhll
7 hours ago, nuhll said:

Yea, as this forum starts to grow, it gets slower, @limetech could try to install and use google pagespeed and or a reverse proxy for static content, if they didnt have already.

Easiest would be cloudflare, which also cache some things. (and free CDN)

Now its not that bad, but it will get worser and worser.

https://www.webpagetest.org/result/180518_Z1_c40091767dbc768f66ccb3bbcfb7ed52/

Its probably because of that "bad" first time byte, could be speed up by CDN, i guess.

I setup AWS CloudFront as a CDN for the forums now.  overall site is clocking in about a second quicker for a complete document render but still didn't help the First Byte Time: https://www.webpagetest.org/result/180518_TN_27a109b178139a25d43d66feb8e25298/

• Like 1
14 hours ago, nuhll said:

Easiest would be cloudflare, which also cache some things.

CloudFlare looks great and we'll probably integrate it in about 2 months along with some other major infrastructure changes here.  I see the webpagetest was performed from France and CloudFlare will accelerate the First Byte Time greatly for countries outside the U.S.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, eschultz said:

CloudFlare looks great and we'll probably integrate it in about 2 months along with some other major infrastructure changes here.  I see the webpagetest was performed from France and CloudFlare will accelerate the First Byte Time greatly for countries outside the U.S.

The linked download diagrams seems quite slow.

When forcing a full reload in Chrome I get the first data after about 400ms and the forum is fully loaded after about 2.8 seconds.

Similar times when testing with IE. This is to Sweden.

The linked data above shows about 1 MB loaded.

When doing a clear load in IE, it's about 2.3 MB that gets downloaded so my download is definitely not skipping lots of data as cached.

I wonder if the SSL negotiation times are the reason for the big differences in download times.

I think it would be way more interesting to check why the limes servers results in 1000+ ms ssh negotiation times while the other servers manages about 100 ms.

The linked data indicates that the bulk download starts when my download has finished and the complete final page is already displayed.

Not so much reason to worry about the actual image download times, if some parts of the world have to wait a large amount of time before even being able to request the image downloads.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

It's still very slow for me, every time I click the browser back button to go back to the unread post list it takes 6 to 7 seconds, both at home and work, with different computers and ISPs .

I have the same issue, but it's not always 6-7 seconds to go back. And it does it if I'm on wifi or phone network. 

37 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Don't know if something was done but I'm seeing normal speeds again today, about 1 or 2 seconds max, similar to what was before.

About 2 hours ago I moved the whole 'search' database to a separate machine (and now using elasticsearch instead of mysql).  Search is a hog both for maintenance and when it's being performed so this should help speed up normal forum operations.  Also elasticsearch is suppose to return better results.

About 15min ago I upgraded php from 7.0 to 7.2 on that server.  Should give a little bit of a boost in performance.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, eschultz said:

About 2 hours ago I moved the whole 'search' database to a separate machine (and now using elasticsearch instead of mysql).  Search is a hog both for maintenance and when it's being performed so this should help speed up normal forum operations.  Also elasticsearch is suppose to return better results.

About 15min ago I upgraded php from 7.0 to 7.2 on that server.  Should give a little bit of a boost in performance.

Thanks, it's definitely a lot faster, also very noticeable when getting the unread post list on Tapatalk.

5 hours ago, eschultz said:

Also for me a noticeable improvement in loading time, specially "unread content". Thank you Mr Fix it.

Since i startet monitoring the speed of the forum, i can say were at nearly double speed. (or half time taking to load the pages)

Good job. :)

Now you can work on multiple server instances of unraid working together. Like application server, storage server, vm server (or multiple), with one interface :P

Edited by nuhll
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Forum has been noticeably slower for me since the update, e.g. when I go back and forth to the unread post list it always takes two beats to display the page, first just shows some parts:

63005597_Screenshot2018-09-0423_29_01.thumb.png.439b9119b3eb2effaf4dc8f97b908edd.png

Then after a second or two the rest appears:

1073890049_Screenshot2018-09-0423_29_03.thumb.png.ff8cba301a959dbc49fdc8f333849fdf.png

This is rather annoying when reading many posts, and it happens both at home and at work, with different computers and ISPs, so believe the problem is not on my side.

• Like 1