Can't get ECS AMD690GM-M2 to boot from USB drive

crazygambit

I've tried everything I can think of. I even tried making a boot CD from the wiki instructions, but it didn't work either.

The MB has the option to boot from USB and it is seeing the stick, but it just won't boot. It's as if it wasn't plugged in.

Anyone else with this motherboard? I could really use some pointers. Thanks.

I've tried everything I can think of. I even tried making a boot CD from the wiki instructions, but it didn't work either.

The MB has the option to boot from USB and it is seeing the stick, but it just won't boot. It's as if it wasn't plugged in.

Anyone else with this motherboard? I could really use some pointers. Thanks.

It's possible that the flash drive is recognized in bios without it being first in the boot list.  There should be a Boot tab in bios to configure that.

Try following the instructions here.  I know this isn't your same motherboard, but many BIOS configurations are very similar.  The key steps to follow would be these:

#  On the Advanced tab

* Choose 'USB Configuration'

o Choose 'USB Mass Storage Device Configuration'

+ Set the Emulation Type to Hard Disk

# On the Boot tab

* Choose 'Hard Disk Drives'

o Choose '1st Drive', select the USB Flash drive, and press enter

o Disable all other boot drives

* Choose 'Boot Device Priority'

o Set the 1st Boot Device as the USB Flash drive.

o Disable all other boot devices

Your motherboard's BIOS may call these items slightly different things, so use your best judgment.  If any of the wording is confusing, post it here and we'll try to decipher it.

Hmm, OK.  Can you post the make and model of your motherboard, and possibly a link to the manual?  Hopefully the manual will have screenshots of the BIOS.  Given those tools we can try to figure out if there's some other setting that may work for you.

Just to let you know, I'll be out of town tomorrow through Monday, so it may be next week before I get back to you on this.

Okay, so this is a Phoenix BIOS.

On my machine with Phoenix, the USB appears among the 'Hard Disk Boot Priority' list.  You need to go to 'Advanced BIOS Features' move your USB drive to the top of the list.  Then, make sure that 'First Boot Device' is set to 'Hard Disk'.  Also, check the settings in 'Integrated Peripherals' -> 'South OnChip PCI Device' and ensure that all five of the USB settings are 'Enabled'.

If this doesn't do the trick, then check out the 'Removable Device Priority' and see whether there is a likely candidate there.  You may then have to change the 'First Boot Device' to suit.

Oh, word of warning - on my 'Phoenix' machine, if I boot without the USB device attached, the boot priority is changed automatically and I then have to go back into the BIOS settings to reinstate it.

The USB appears in Removable Device. It's the only available choice in that category. I have removable device set as first boot, but nothing happens.

I'm about ready to give up on this and try some of the other RAID options out there (none seems to fit my needs as well as unraid, but I guess they're better than nothing). It's really a shame I can't get this to work with this MB, but getting a new compatible one would make this totally not cost efficient.

Edit: I got it to boot!!! I removed the Supermicro Add-on Card AOC-SASLP-MV8 thinking it may have something to do with that and it boot up just fine. Now my problem is that I kinda need the card to hoop up my drives, but I'll look into that now.

is there a way to disable bootable Add-on cards in the bios under boot order, I had to do that on one system, don't remember if it was a Phoenix BIOS or not

BTW Unraid is worth the trouble, but I agree getting hardware to work sometimes is frustraiting - keep at it

But if I do that, isn't it the same as it being unplugged? Or would the system recognize it later?

is there a way to disable bootable Add-on cards in the bios under boot order, I had to do that on one system, don't remember if it was a Phoenix BIOS or not

BTW Unraid is worth the trouble, but I agree getting hardware to work sometimes is frustraiting - keep at it

But if I do that, isn't it the same as it being unplugged? Or would the system recognize it later?

It should still be recognized later.  Just because the motherboard can't boot from the add-on card(s) doesn't mean unRAID can't use them.

Not sure how you created your USB stick but I had a similar problem a while back. When I first got into unRaid, I was using an old MB that had an Athlon 3200 processor and I created the USB stick with just a format and running the syslinux command to copy the required files over to make it bootable. I then place all the unRaid files onto the stick and booted up without any issue. After using unRaid for a while, I decided to put together a more robust system so I bought a new motherboard and the Sempron 140. All hard drives stayed the same. I took the Bootable USB stick from the old system and plugged it into the new system. Went into the BIOS and set the boot device to USB Removable device. What I got was just as you have, no boot. I wondered how the same USB stick could be bootable on one MB and not on another. I then loaded up the HP formatting program, formatted the USB, ran syslinux and copied the unRaid files over. I then turned on the system and it booted right up. I can't explain why one MB needed this and the other didn't, but it's worth trying.

Hope this helps.