[SOLVED] Enabling VMs Crashes Server

I made some network changes, apparently incorrectly (since resolved) and since then, if I enable VMs, I lose access to my server. My assumption is there's an issue with my Windows 10 VM, which is set to autostart. When this happens, my only recourse is to hard reboot the server, go into safe mode, and turn off VMs.

Is there a way for me to set the Windows 10 VM to not autostart, other than through the VM page? I don't have access to the server long enough once VMs are enabled to disable it there.

In case anyone else runs into this problem, here's how I managed to fix it. I believe the issue is that, because I changed the network setup, the network bridge the VM was using was no longer available. But, because I had it set to autostart, there was no opportunity to turn that off and update the settings before it took down the server.

Here are the steps I took:

1. On the Shares tab, I made the Domains share available by changing Export to Yes
  2. I navigated to that share and in the Windows 10 folder, I renamed vdisk1.img to vdisk1.img.bak
  3. In Settings > VM Manager, I re-enabled VMs (Enable VMs: Yes)
  4. Since it couldn't find the image for the Windows 10 VM, this time it couldn't start and didn't crash the system
  5. Changed the Windows 10 VM to autostart = false
  6. Repeating step 2, I changed the file name back to what it was
  7. Edited the settings on the VM (all I really had to do was click apply, as that changed it to the new network bridge)

• bkavanaugh changed the title to [Resolved] Enabling VMs Crashes Server
  • 2 years later...
  • JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Enabling VMs Crashes Server