Cache Full VM stops and mover not working

Unraid oS   v.6.4

I was working the other day and all of my 3 VM freezed.

After looking for a while, I realized my cache was full. I started mover manually, but it doesn't work.

I had to delete one cache drive to start working again, but now they are full and I can't do the same thing every time.

I ran mover cmd from terminal and I get this>

root@Tower:~# mover
mover: started
move: file /mnt/disk1/system/libvirt/libvirt.img
move_object: /mnt/disk1/system/libvirt/libvirt.img File exists
move_object: /mnt/disk1/system/libvirt: Directory not empty
move_object: /mnt/disk1/system: Directory not empty
mover: finished

Please Help!

tower-diagnostics-20180513-1546.zip

The errors you posted indicate some of your "system" shares are on the array and it is trying to move them to cache. But cache is full and it can't move open files anyway.

Your syslog only contains a small amount of time after reboot. We can't see anything that happened before reboot in diagnostics. However, it does seem to indicate a problem with your flash. Put it in your PC and let it checkdisk. You might also try it in another port, preferably USB2.

I suggest stopping all VMs and dockers until you get your cache usage straightened out. You may have to temporarily set your cache-prefer shares to cache-no so you can get your cache-yes shares moved to the array to make room for your cache-prefer shares.

Study the link johnnie gave. You need to carefully consider how you are using cache so you don't fill it up again. If you have created any VMs or dockers you don't need you should get rid of them and maybe have Community Applications clean up old dockers to free space.

I had it on Yes before, so that

5 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

You need to check your cache share settings, only shares set to cache "yes" will be moved to the array.

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?do=findComment&comment=537383

I had it on yes before, so I changed it to prefer, in order to keep working. I'm going to check the link anyway and let you know.

Thanks!

But normally you will want your "system" shares for your VM and docker images and docker appdata to be set to cache-prefer so they will be on cache and not get moved to the array.

As I said, stop the VM and docker services for now and set these cache-prefer shares to cache-no until you get your cache-yes shares moved to the array and figure out what is still taking up all your cache space.

21 minutes ago, trurl said:

The errors you posted indicate some of your "system" shares are on the array and it is trying to move them to cache. But cache is full and it can't move open files anyway.

Your syslog only contains a small amount of time after reboot. We can't see anything that happened before reboot in diagnostics. However, it does seem to indicate a problem with your flash. Put it in your PC and let it checkdisk. You might also try it in another port, preferably USB2.

I suggest stopping all VMs and dockers until you get your cache usage straightened out. You may have to temporarily set your cache-prefer shares to cache-no so you can get your cache-yes shares moved to the array to make room for your cache-prefer shares.

Study the link johnnie gave. You need to carefully consider how you are using cache so you don't fill it up again. If you have created any VMs or dockers you don't need you should get rid of them and maybe have Community Applications clean up old dockers to free space.

I have 3 VMs installed and use all of them for work. I have three people programing so I decided to build a workstation with UnRaid os. I have little experience with this system, so I had help installing it and now I have to manage it myself but have been difficult and the cache has given problems before (the VMs stopped working). Do you think I should find another option?

It looks like you probably have enough cache space for what you want to do with your VMs, but if you are also trying to cache writes to other user shares you need to make sure that is setup so it isn't using up all the cache space you need for your VMs.

There is help in the webUI for most things, but there are a lot of settings affecting cache usage that may come into play depending on what you want to do with your server, and you will need to understand them. Mover schedule can be changed, for example, so cached writes get moved to the array more frequently and don't stay on cache taking up space while even more data gets cached.

The simplest thing to do is probably to not cache any "normal" user shares and just reserve your cache disk for VM images, etc. Then after you have a better understanding you can try caching other shares.