New Build - thumbnails not saving

Hello all. I am in the process moving about 50TB of data off my old windows 10 w/drive bender to a unraid server. First, I want to say thanks for a great forum that has already helped me just by reading and learning about unraid. The first question I have is that while I can map UNRAID to my windows 10 PC by typing the IP Address, it never shows up in the network at all. I have SMB turned on and set to public. I can access the webgui and all the user shares by typing the address in manually, but it is a no go as far as UNRAID showing up in the network section. I installed Local Master" plugin for Dynamix, and UNRAID is the master. Secondly, I have not installed PLEX yet, but will as soon as I get all the data copied over. I have a question about thumbnails. NOT PLEX, but windows 10. When I access the folders from my windows 10 PC, the thumbnails will generate, but never are saved on my windows PC. On my Drive Bender Server, once I had generated the thumbnails they were saved and would show up immediately when going to any folder on the server. Now, with UNRAID, the thumbnails will generate, but never save. I have literally thousands of pics and videos. I was wondering if this is a common thing with UNRAID or am I doing something wrong? I searched the forums but all I could find concerning thumbnails were concerning PLEX and not windows.

Thanks in advance!    

Edited by jimmydrac1

The discovery of file servers by Windows is dependent on the SMB 1 server service (!) running. It's switched off by default in recent Windows 10 releases. You can turn it back on from Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off. Expand SMB 1.0/CIFS File sharing support, then enable SMB 1.0/CIFS Server and click OK.

As the tooltip suggests, it provides "support for the SMB 1.0/CIFS file server for sharing data with legacy clients and browsing the network neighbourhood." You don't need to enable the SMB 1.0/CIFS Client.

Major Windows updates will probably disable it again for security reasons.

THANKS!!! That fixed the first problem completely! My windows 10 PC still isn't saving any thumbnails. It will recreate them no problem, but each time I go back to a folder on UNRAID from my PC, it has to rebuild all the thumbnails. I hope there is a easy solution to this like the first problem. 

Thanks again John_M!!!! 

Edited by jimmydrac1
5 hours ago, jimmydrac1 said:

My windows 10 PC still isn't saving any thumbnails.

I use Windows 10 only when I have to. It isn't my favourite operating system. Are you talking about Thumbs.db files or are you using a centralised thumbnail cache? See this Wikipedia article. Have you changed the Group policy?

13 hours ago, John_M said:

Have you changed the Group policy?

I have windows 10 home that didn't have group policy manager installed. Thanks for letting me know about it. Installed and configured it to not allow windows to save hidden thumbnails to unraid. What I'm am wanting is for my windows 10 PC to save the thumbnails on the PC like it would any local file or folder. I have folders on UNRAID that have hundreds of photos inside them and don't want windows to have to recreate the thumbs each and every time I goto the folder. So far everything I have tried doesn't work. Any ideas???

Thanks in advance! 

It seems that Windows 10 uses a centralised thumbnail cache by default. The location is

C:\Users\{user-name}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

You have to turn on Show hidden files to see it. I checked my Windows 10 Pro installation and it's present. It's possible that different editions behave differently, but I don't know. There's a discussion thread here from someone wanting to revert to using Thumbs.db files that might shed some light.

I am fine with Windows 10 using a  centralised thumbnail cache. My problem is that it isn't working the way it should. Using My Windows 10 PC to access another server, (windows based), my Windows 10 pc saves the thumbnails and doesn't have to recreate them each and every time I browse the folders on that server. On UNRAID, my windows 10 PC will create the thumbails, but for some reason it recreates them each and every time I browse the folders on UNRAID using my Windows 10 PC. It shouldn't do that. It should store them. I am hoping someone here has run into this problem and knows how to correct it.

Sorry John_M if my using "thumb.DB" was confusing. I am not trying to have my win 10 PC act like windows XP. Having them all stored in a single folder is fine. I am just hoping to get it to work the way it should. There has to be an easy answer. Probably one of those really obvious things I should have seen but didn't.

Thanks  

• 2 years later...