GPU Performance in Win10 VM

I have build a Win10 VM using the guides from SpaceInvader One (thank you!)

Despite following the steps in his videos I seem to be not getting even close to bare metal performance and I am unsure why.

I have a 980ti, which was used in a Windows build prior to moving to unRAID on the same hardware and I seem to be getting a significant performance reduction.

I've done some testing in PubG, pre VM I was able to run 4k @ 53 - 59 FPS. In the VM I get 25 - 32 FPS on the same settings.

Dropping down to 1440p and on High I only get 45 - 47 FPS... I expected some performance drop however this is quite significant.

CPU usage is always <50%, so its not a CPU bottleneck from what I can see.

Its a Threadripper build with 1900x 4 cores 8 threads passed to the VM, 32gb DDR4 with 16gb passed to the VM.

I tried emulating the CPU's as per advice in another thread and this absolutely killed CPU performance pegging it at 100%, effectively making the VM unusable. 

Does anyone have any other ideas?

11 hours ago, GoudaK said:

I have build a Win10 VM using the guides from SpaceInvader One (thank you!)

Despite following the steps in his videos I seem to be not getting even close to bare metal performance and I am unsure why.

I have a 980ti, which was used in a Windows build prior to moving to unRAID on the same hardware and I seem to be getting a significant performance reduction.

I've done some testing in PubG, pre VM I was able to run 4k @ 53 - 59 FPS. In the VM I get 25 - 32 FPS on the same settings.

Dropping down to 1440p and on High I only get 45 - 47 FPS... I expected some performance drop however this is quite significant.

CPU usage is always <50%, so its not a CPU bottleneck from what I can see.

Its a Threadripper build with 1900x 4 cores 8 threads passed to the VM, 32gb DDR4 with 16gb passed to the VM.

I tried emulating the CPU's as per advice in another thread and this absolutely killed CPU performance pegging it at 100%, effectively making the VM unusable. 

Does anyone have any other ideas?

I can also say that I think that the performance in games is not where it should be but unfortunately I have no comparison to bare metal performance...

However, I can't play Witcher 3 without stutters on higher video settings (with a resolution of 3440 x 1440 and a GeForce 1080) and I think this should be possible with the hardware. (I also isolated CPU's for the gaming VM) 

9 hours ago, david279 said:

Run this in the terminal.

watch grep \"cpu MHz\" /proc/cpuinfo

Maybe your cores aren't using xfr. I found my ryzen never used the xfr boost while in UNRAID so I just oc my chip and set The performance governor to ondemand.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I just testet this with Prime 95 and you are right, the frequency never went above 3.4 GHz (with on Demand / Performance) if this command shows the correct CPU frequency (I have a Threadripper 1950 which should be able to get up to 4 GHz). Maybe this is a general problem with the new AMD CPU's on UnRaid and the current kernel..

I wonder if there isn't another way to get this working without overclocking the base CPU frequency... ?

Cheers

Edited by Symon
On 5/16/2018 at 4:44 PM, david279 said:

The only thing i could find is to OC it. Maybe when they go to a updated linux kernel xfr will work. I plan on going to a 2700x in the future and i read that boosting does work correctly with it in linux so it maybe a issue with the 1st gen ryzen stuff. 

Thanks for the hint ? I OC mine now to 3.8 GHz (4 was unstable) and changed the setting to on demand as well. I hope the power consumption doesn't go up too much... 

Wired thing though .. I hope this gets fixed in newer kernel versions.. can't  replace that expensive CPU this soon ?

Edited by Symon