[solved] Problem adding a parity drive later

Hello unRAID Community,

So last week I decided to test out unRAID and I love it!

Only now I think I have a problem. I took one of my 8TB drives out of my Synology(RAID0) and made an "array" out of it.

This only took a minute or so, so I'm pretty sure unRAID did not zero the drive or am I wrong?

Now I transferred all my files to the array I want to use the second 8TB drive as parity. 

After reading how unRAID works I'm pretty sure this won't work as the original 8TB drive did not get zeroed. 

Can anyone advise me what to do?

I was thinking of doing this:

1. Adding the new drive as an unassigned device.

2. Running preclear on it.

3. Transfering everything on my current array to this drive

4. Adding the drive I copied everything from as parity.

Edited by jbreuer95

unRAID only requires a clear drive when adding to an array with valid parity. This is so parity will remain valid. Since you don't have parity yet no drive needs to be clear. Parity when built will be calculated with whatever bits are in the array at the time so it doesn't matter. 

12 hours ago, trurl said:

unRAID only requires a clear drive when adding to an array with valid parity. This is so parity will remain valid. Since you don't have parity yet no drive needs to be clear. Parity when built will be calculated with whatever bits are in the array at the time so it doesn't matter. 

Yep, that makes perfect sense!

Thank you, don't know what went wrong in my line of thinking on this one xD