Threadripper no Turbo Boost / XFR

Hi all

I use UnRaid together with a Threadripper 1950 for quite some time now and it works quite well so far. However, I recently discovered that the CPU frequency of the cores would never go higher than the base frequency of 3.4 GHz although it should be able to go up to 4 GHz according to the CPU speccs. Now this seems to be a problem with the internal frequency governor not knowing to correct max frequency if I googled this correctly. The same behaviour seems to happen with the Ryzen CPUs. 

I used this to check the frequency
watch grep \"cpu MHz\" /proc/cpuinfo

The only solution that has been recommended so far is overclocking the CPU to achieve a higher frequency. Unfortunately, this seems to notably increase the power consumption of this CPU. However, I tried this and got the speed up to 3.8 GHz (4.0 was unstable) but was wondering if this is really the only solution to this problem?

Is this problem given by the Linux Kernel of UnRaid? Is there a chance that this will be fixed in the near future or is OC the only way to achive this?

Maybe there is also something that can be changed in the configuration of UnRaid that I'm not aware of?

Thanks for any input or help

Symon

Edited by Symon
  • Like 1
  • 4 months later...

@tjb_altf4 I suppose your Threadripper is OC to 3.7?

The best setting I've found so far is to OC the base frequency (mine is currently 3.875 @ 1.25V) and use the "on demand" setting in the Tips and Tweaks plugin such as the frequency will go down when not needed... 

It's kind of difficult to decide in between speed / power consumption while maintaining a stable system which won't overheat :) 

Also, the newest version of UnRaid seems to have a negative impact on the performance of the cpu which is probably due to the security patch which has been reapplied :( 

Edited by Symon
On 10/11/2018 at 12:39 AM, tjb_altf4 said:

What motherboard are you using?

I'm using an Asus Rog Zenith Extreme. Last time I checked without OC the CPU, the frequency wouldn't go above 3.4 GHz. 

Maybe someone from @limetech can tell us which component is reponsible for the UnRaid internal frequency governor and how it's supposed to work.

On 10/12/2018 at 8:23 PM, Symon said:

I'm using an Asus Rog Zenith Extreme. Last time I checked without OC the CPU, the frequency wouldn't go above 3.4 GHz. 

Maybe someone from @limetech can tell us which component is reponsible for the UnRaid internal frequency governor and how it's supposed to work.

For XFR and the governor to worker correctly in UnRaid I had to enable Cool n Quiet ,Enable C States (along with most power management options to auto) and CPB in the motherboard.

I had Cool n Quiet disabled and no scaling governors showed up in the Tweaks plugins selection list.

• 10 months later...

So I'm on the latest RC.  Definately the Governer is scaling etc, but I'm using something that requires a lot of clock speed.  You could say I'm splitting hairs, but I never see the system (Ryzen 1950X) going higher than 3.7GHz and it is rated for boost clock to 4GHz in it's default state.  I've tried shifting it into performance mode, but suspect that reduces it's chances of boosting to be honest, since you generally only want a few cores boosted that high.

Any thoughts?