tucansam

FreeDOS VM

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi guys.

I need to run a DOS app from 1994.  I've downloaded the FreeDOS ISO.  I created a VM with one CPU, 128M RAM, and a 250M disk.  When I boot initially, it goes into the FreeDOS setup routine.  I exit to DOS, run fdisk, create and set active a FAT16 partition, and reboot.

At that point I get the "partition signature != 55AA" error -- MBR is toast.  Haven't had a chance to format the disk.  Anyway, it never again boots into the FreeDOS iso/setup routine, it just hangs there.

Has anyone installed a FreeDOS (or any DOS) VM?  Any advice?  

Thanks.

ETA turns out I need Windows 3.1, 3.11, or, presumably, 95.

Edited by tucansam

I setup MSDOS6.22 and WFW3.11 in a VM and just executed it as you can see from the attached graphic.  I also included my settings beside it.  As you may suspect I setup the VM on VMWare Workstation than transferred the HDD image file over to unRAID (VMDK for the HDD is the clue).  Maybe that will work for you.

WFW3.11.png

Edited by BobPhoenix
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 9:31 AM, tucansam said:

Hi guys.

I need to run a DOS app from 1994.  I've downloaded the FreeDOS ISO.  I created a VM with one CPU, 128M RAM, and a 250M disk.  When I boot initially, it goes into the FreeDOS setup routine.  I exit to DOS, run fdisk, create and set active a FAT16 partition, and reboot.

At that point I get the "partition signature != 55AA" error -- MBR is toast.  Haven't had a chance to format the disk.  Anyway, it never again boots into the FreeDOS iso/setup routine, it just hangs there.

Has anyone installed a FreeDOS (or any DOS) VM?  Any advice?  

Thanks.

ETA turns out I need Windows 3.1, 3.11, or, presumably, 95.

Did you ever get it working?

No.  Gave up, for now.  Probably going to order a 386, 486, Pentium Pro, and Pentium III from ebay at some point and run what I need on actual hardware.