V6 - unRAID Hangs Often

Hi,

I have just built a new unRAID system that has been running fine for a while now. Around a week back I made a few changes to the system (Added another HDD, Added a Parity Drive & Swapped Cache Drive). I went trough the Wiki and the forums to make sure all the changes to the system were done properly. For the past week or so i have been having some issues with the system. The server becomes unresponsive and I am having the following problems with it

• I cannot access the shares
  • I cannot access the Web-UI
  • SSH or Telnet to shutdown the computer fails
  • Pressing the Power button to gracefully shutdown also does nothing

I have attached diagnostics report for the server. Appreciate all the help i can get

nas-diagnostics-20180520-1251.zip

I took a quick look at your syslog and didn't see anything.  I would suggest that you install the Fix Common Problems  plugin and turn on the 'troubleshooting mode'  on.  That option will write periodic syslog files to the    logs   folder/directory on your Flash Drive.  After the lockup, up load those files in a new post.  

I am not Guru when it comes to Docker 'fixes' but I would think this would be a good place to start:

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/36647-official-guide-restoring-your-docker-applications-in-a-new-image-file/

It is an old thread so you should probable read through it to the end to make sure that nothing has changed. (I seem to recall that deleting the .img file will not use your configuration settings if the Docker Containers were properly configured to begin with.  When you reinstall the apps, they will pick up your settings from the appdata share.) 

• 2 months later...

Hi There,

I have gone trough the thread. I deleted all the docker apps along with the Docker image and reinstalled all of them again. I am still having the same issue

• Docker Apps stop working after a while
  • Docker Apps do not update
  • I get "Unable to write to Docker Image" Error

I have been having this issue for ages, i tried removing the docker image multiple times. Yet i get the same error again. Everything else in the system seems to be working just fine. 

Error while Updating Docker APP.PNG

Edited by shuds
Added Screenshot

Settings - Docker - Disable the Service.  Hit the checkmark and delete the image file

Reboot

Settings - Docker Enable the service and hit done.  If you've got apps showing installed in the docker tab, post your diagnostics.

If not, then Apps tab, previous apps section, check off the applicable applications and hit install multi

• 5 months later...

I would be concerned about your underlying storage for Docker at this point.  If the loopback image continuously is being corrupted, you may have corruption on the underlying btrfs filesystem of the cache device.  Stop the array and start it in maintenance mode, then run a btrfs filesystem check on your cache pool, correcting any errors found.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I tried what you asked, there were no errors found and now I am getting another error. After performing the test, one of my HDD's are disabled. SMART is not reporting any errors whatsoever. I have also attached the SMART image. BTW filesystem is XFS

Error.PNG.de92ca3df371db0847077f863bd25f84.PNG

nas-smart-20190312-1453.zip

Its been a while since I've had Unraid up and running but this is the only persistent error that i keep getting. I would really like to solve this situation ASAP, would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks

Perhaps you have "gremlins" in your hard disk which are manifesting now as we move to a newer kernels.... especially since you have this in your SMART report:

==> WARNING: A firmware update for this drive is available,
see the following Seagate web pages:
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/207931en
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/223651en

Plus this one:

APM level is:     128 (minimum power consumption without standby)

I still have a similar disk (mine is 3TB) with a very odd behavior - you can preclear that damn thing as many time as you wish and it will pass with nothing wrong in the SMART report but once added to the array and server reboots it gets kicked out as disabled. And I tried it recently with 6.6.6. - still the same!!!

Here are the specs from Seagate:

https://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/product-content/barracuda-fam/desktop-hdd/barracuda-7200-14/en-us/docs/100686584y.pdf

Edited by bcbgboy13