Slow Transfer Speeds over VPN

Hi guys i was not exactly sure where to post my question so ive decided to post it here

So my issue is that i am running on Unraid 6.5.1 and i have openvpn-as installed and i am able to connect with no issues open the webgui and all the good stuff

i am able to map to smb shares but the issue arrises when i want to transfer a file as small as 1GB from the share to my local machine.

the transfer speeds go from 970kBs and cap at 1mb this seems like an issue to me but i am unsure if a 1gb file should take 30 -40 minutes to transfer.

I am using linux mint 18.3 as the local machine and the os hard drive is an ssd. this is not as much of a problem if i use a windows machine as it more than halves the time and transfers upwards of 1mb+

please correct me if my thinking is wrong and thank you in advance

Edited by Sinister

I'm not sure whether you're talking about bits (lowercase 'b') or bytes (uppercase 'B') but either way you should be getting faster speeds. Perhaps your network card hasn't been able to negotiate a 1 Gb/s speed due to a bad cable. Your diagnostics would shed more light.

7 minutes ago, John_M said:

I'm not sure whether you're talking about bits (lowercase 'b') or bytes (uppercase 'B') but either way you should be getting faster speeds. Perhaps your network card hasn't been able to negotiate a 1 Gb/s speed due to a bad cable. Your diagnostics would shed more light.

thank you so much for your reply can you elaborate more on which diagnostics your referring to as i am a linux newbie and certainly not an unraid veteran  but i can follow instructions properly if given im unsure if this holds any bearing on the issue but when i do a speed test on the local machine i get the 200 down 10 up as paid for by my isp

and everything else is generally fast but when i enable my vpn connection things do get slower

8 minutes ago, John_M said:

In the web GUI, Tools -> Diagnostics and post the resulting zip file.

The "Slow SMB transfer speeds to Linux machine" of this thread's title are seen where? On your local network, or via a VPN across the Internet?

i have attached the diagnostic zip and this is a vpn across the internet on my local linux mint machine on the same network as the server speeds are way faster

tower-diagnostics-20180520-1253.zip

2 hours ago, Sinister said:

i have attached the diagnostic zip and this is a vpn across the internet on my local linux mint machine on the same network as the server speeds are way faster

It isn't reasonable to expect transfer speeds across a VPN that uses the public Internet to match those on a LAN. If the "server speeds are way faster" on the LAN then your problem is not with unRAID. Perhaps I've misinterpreted what you're asking. I don't really understand what you're saying as you write without punctuation or capital letters.

25 minutes ago, John_M said:

It isn't reasonable to expect transfer speeds across a VPN that uses the public Internet to match those on a LAN. If the "server speeds are way faster" on the LAN then your problem is not with unRAID. Perhaps I've misinterpreted what you're asking. I don't really understand what you're saying as you write without punctuation or capital letters.

I am not expecting similar speeds comparable to being on the local LAN with the unRAID server. But what i am sure of is that on a windows client the transfer speed is faster

across the VPN than it is on my Linux Mint client across the same VPN.

7 hours ago, John_M said:

In that case the question is about Linux Mint because the unRAID server is common to both. Have you considered using NFS to connect your Linux client instead?

Well actually i was testing some more and it seems that now with windows transfer is equally slow now. And i have considered NFS heavily its just as a linux newbie of only 4 weeks the instructions are not clear enough for me to map the drive

The mount command is pretty straightforward and, at its simplest, looks like

mount -t nfs server_IP_address:/path_to_share /local_mount_point

The important thing to remember is that you have to specify the full path to the share, not just the name of the share, as you would with SMB.

See here.

13 hours ago, John_M said:

The mount command is pretty straightforward and, at its simplest, looks like

mount -t nfs server_IP_address:/path_to_share /local_mount_point

The important thing to remember is that you have to specify the full path to the share, not just the name of the share, as you would with SMB.

See here.

still working on the mount commands for NFS.Im able to see the shares and make the mount point but i must be doing something wrong as it says access denied by server in the meantime here is a screenshot of the speed i get when transferring a file across the VPN

Screenshot from 2018-05-21 20-03-49.png

In that case it's down to VPN configuration and Internet connectivity at both sites, plus contention, plus whatever congestion and traffic shaping there happens to be in between. The title of this thread is misleading as it gives no indication that a VPN is involved.

4 hours ago, bally12345 said:

Try vpn then use ftp and see if you notice any difference in speeds.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thank you for your reply im not exactly sure how to do that with unRAID im also a linux newb the options mint 18.3 give me are public ftp and ftp with password im also not sure what port is open to connect with on unRAID by default

• 2 months later...

LOL. Yes. I'm going through same at the moment. I've tried quite a few options and I've tried Express, Hola, Nord and Ivacy so far. It's never as fast as torrenting without a VPN but I think this is the opportunity cost for being "safe." If you're in some region where it's not totally banned or if you're getting a torrent that's alright in your region, like say, a Linux distro, you can do so without a VPN.

11 hours ago, Carl87Wilson said:

LOL. Yes. I'm going through same at the moment. I've tried quite a few options and I've tried Express, Hola, Nord and Ivacy so far. It's never as fast as torrenting without a VPN but I think this is the opportunity cost for being "safe." If you're in some region where it's not totally banned or if you're getting a torrent that's alright in your region, like say, a Linux distro, you can do so without a VPN.

Hi, I don't mind much the speeds but with NordVPN I saw it doesn't handle port forwarding and it was crazy how the torrents would freeze out of nowhere and I had to force them. Currently, I have about 100mb download but wouldn't care if the speed through VPN is 30 or 40MB/s is okay.

At some point, I thought I was doing something wrong until I tried on my computer and it works faster. Could you recommend me a good one with a good torrent client running on docker? I honestly love Transmission it's simple but it never worked on the VPN for some reason and using Deluge works properly but, I find it hard to interact with Sonarr and Radarr because they cannot remove the files automatically since Deluge doesn't have a stop status only pause and seeding. 

• 3 months later...

Similar but different question.

Unraid Samba share, 10 Mbps upstream bandwidth.
Google pixel Android client, OpenVPN in via LTE, 40 Mbps downstream bandwidth.

I'm trying to download a file, I'm getting ~100 KB/s aka 0.8 Mbps.

IOW I'm getting about 1/12 my expected transfer rate.

OpenVPN server is running on my Asus RT-68U.

Am I overtaxing the router? No, this router can handle ~35 Mbps without any adjustments.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, rbmatt1s said:

Google pixel Android client, OpenVPN in via LTE, 40 Mbps downstream bandwidth.

I'm trying to download a file, I'm getting ~100 KB/s aka 0.8 Mbps.

IOW I'm getting about 1/12 my expected transfer rate.

OpenVPN server is running on my Asus RT-68U.

Am I overtaxing the router? No, this router can handle ~35 Mbps without any adjustments.

What comparisons have you done? Have you connected a different openvpn client device? Have you downloaded from a share on a different device? Without trying different configurations of client, server, and endpoint there is really no way to point to anything specific.

What configuration gets you to your expected rate? It's possible your expectations are too high.

Very cludgy, but I connected to my server with a windows 10 laptop via WiFi Tethering and OpenVPN. (Laptop running open VPN ->Wifi Tether on Pixel->Unraid SMB share. I was able to download at 1.25 MB/s, approximately 10 mpbs, approximately the upstream bandwidth of my home internet connection.

Maybe the problem is Astro SMB? Anyone have an Android Filemanager/SMBclient that plays nicely with Unraid?

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
Very cludgy, but I connected to my server with a windows 10 laptop via WiFi Tethering and OpenVPN. (Laptop running open VPN ->Wifi Tether on Pixel->Unraid SMB share. I was able to download at 1.25 MB/s, approximately 10 mpbs, approximately the upstream bandwidth of my home internet connection.

Maybe the problem is Astro SMB? Anyone have an Android Filemanager/SMBclient that plays nicely with Unraid?
I hate Astro! Same problem.

Honestly if you eant to test bandwidth install the speedtest docker, connect to the VPN and test.

It will tell you exactly, after that you can check the smb speeds. Because it has to do with the cellular data as well, there's more involved.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk